New student apartment The Rambler to open for fall 2023

Lorianne Willett

A student walks past Rambler Apartments on Oct. 5, 2022. The complex is currently under construction in west campus and is set to open before the fall 2023 semester.

Corinne Piorkowski, General News Reporter

The Rambler, a student apartment complex that features a cycling fitness center, sun-shelf pool and hot tub, private yoga studio and more amenities will open for the 2023-24 leasing year.

The 215-unit apartment complex has 40 floor plan options and will be located on the corner of Nueces and 26th Street, project manager Cristina Gregory said. The Rambler plans to open in fall 2023, and Gregory said she can’t wait to see the apartments’ design come to life.

“I’ve never seen anything quite like this,” Gregory said. “(Management believes) in putting care and giving students high value items, and knowing that the students will take care of them.”

The Rambler is managed by real estate investment firm LV Collective, a local firm that owns several West Campus student apartments including The Ruckus and Waterloo. Rambler brand ambassador Alexandria Galipp said she is impressed with how the company manages student living complexes.

“The company is really well-trusted, but I also think it gives a good luxury experience for a lower cost,” public relations junior Galipp said. “They have the high-end feel, but (that isn’t reflected) cost-wise because they have a ton of different options.”

Gregory said Rambler was thoughtfully designed to fulfill student needs, which is one of the main reasons she recommends this apartment to students.

“There’s so much intention behind the design,” Gregory said. “Even where the yoga studio faces, the sun rises and you’ll be able to see it without any obstructed views.”

With rapid population growth in Austin and around West Campus,  increased construction in the city helps sustain living and resource demand for the population. The Austin metropolitan area grew 33% in population over the past 10 years according to the recent 2020 census, and West Campus remains among one of the most densely populated areas of the city. 

However, some students like sustainability studies senior Austin Huang said they are concerned about the impact construction has on the environment. 

“In terms of the environment, (West Campus is) a lot of densely populated areas now,” Huang said. “There’s definitely great things to it, but ultimately, it has a negative effect on our environment because it’s cramming us into a singular location, as opposed to helping us expand.” 

Huang said he believes that building up, not out, might help prevent the spread of construction in West Campus and its negative effects on students and wildlife.

“Construction … is definitely harmful for the environment, especially air quality, and also noise pollution,” Huang said. “Maybe building higher on the ones that already exist (could help).”

Gregory said she believes the collaboration and management of Rambler creates a stable, healthy living environment for students to consider.

“When you allow collaboration to take place, with everyone from different backgrounds and perspectives, you can make so much good from that, and that’s what (the company) does consistently every day,” Gregory said.