Notes from the Opponent: Kansas State

Jordan Mitchell, Associate Sports Editor

Ahead of Texas’ matchup against No. 13 Kansas State, the Daily Texan spoke with Luke Lazarczyk, sports reporter at the school’s paper, The Collegian.

Daily Texan: After last week’s stunning shutout of Oklahoma State, Kansas State backup quarterback Will Howard put the college football world on alert. Is he playing with a different demeanor this season?

Luke Lazarczyk: What I’ve seen before is that he has come in when he had to. When he came in the overall census last year was like, “Oh no, Will Howard’s in.” But now it’s completely flipped. I think he looks more patient in the pocket and in his decision making. Where he completely differs from (Adrian) Martinez is he’s giving out receivers a chance to catch the ball. He’s just giving everyone a chance to make a play.

DT: Kansas State responded (to the TCU loss) by shutting out Oklahoma State. Do you think that that was a turning point in Kansas State’s season?

LL: It was definitely a turning point. The general consensus with K-State fans is that K-State is better than TCU. I think the confidence is really high all around. That sort of proved to people that K-State can not just score but completely shut them out. 

DT: What’s up with Texas coming into Manhattan as two-and-a-half-point favorites?

LL: I think it has to be centered around just how K-State can contain Bijan Robinson. In the last six games, (he’s had) 100-plus yards every game he’s just dominating. I think that has to be the key to it.

DT: Is there a culture difference between last season’s team and this season’s team?

LL: I’d say it’s definitely different. The team is better and better and Colin Klein is (the offensive coordinator.) Things clicked. There’s more overall depth and consistency with everyone on the field.

DT: What do you think that Texas has to do to come up to Manhattan and win?

LL: I’d say running the ball probably a lot with Bijan and taking advantage when the defense closes in. Also, just assuming Will Howard plays quarterback, I think there is an ability to throw picks because he is taking more risk. So getting a pick or two off Will Howard and then maybe Klein calling a more conservative play style. You’re pushing the Wildcats to a conservative play style. I think that’s how Texas comes up and gets a win.

DT: Do you have any predictions for the game?

LL: I think it’ll be a sort of a back-and-forth game, but I think in the end K-State will hold through.