Jaylan Ford’s defensive efforts help lift Texas to road win over Kansas State despite penalties

Jordan Mitchell, Associate Sports Editor

In Texas’ gutted out 34-27 win in Manhattan, Kansas on Saturday, it became evident that the Longhorns had a penalty problem. 

In what began as a clean game of football, the second half saw Bill Snyder Family Stadium’s field saturated in yellow flags. Combined, Texas and Kansas State accumulated nine pre-snap penalties, stalling the game and negating several explosive plays, including Kansas State running back Deuce Vaughn’s 21-yard rush to Texas’ 3-yard line.

However, Kansas State seemed less impacted by its nine penalties. Despite adding seven penalties in the second half alone, Kansas State outscored Texas 17-3 in its comeback. With a little over four minutes remaining in the game, the Wildcats had pulled within one score. 

Keeping in mind Texas’ 14 penalties in its 34-41 loss to Oklahoma State, the Longhorns’ seven penalties in the second half indicated a lack of discipline. Five of those flags were charged to underclassmen players, including two to sophomore defensive end Barryn Sorrell.

“I really thought in the second half and the third quarter there, we were really moving the ball,” head coach Steve Sarkisian said. “But we kept moving backwards (because of the penalties).” 

While Texas had some kinks to iron out in its technical game, the Longhorns did get over a second-half hump that has plagued them so far in the Sarkisian era. With the win against No. 13 Kansas State, the second-year coach has his first ranked win over a Big 12 opponent in his Texas career. The win was also the Longhorns’ first in a true road game since they beat TCU in Fort Worth last season.

“All in all, it’s a really cool win for us in a tough environment,” Sarkisian said. “But we’ve got more to do.”

When the Longhorns’ offense stalled out after the Wildcats kicked a field goal, Kansas State got the football back with just under three minutes in the game. Primarily using short passes, Kansas State quarterback Adrian Martinez drove the ball to Texas’ 43-yard line before facing a 1st-and-10.

In the push from Texas’ defensive line, senior defensive tackle Keondre Coburn punched the ball away from Martinez on the scramble, sending junior linebacker Jaylan Ford chasing the fumble recovery. 

After recovering the ball and with 24 seconds left in the game, the Longhorns lined up in victory formation.

“I told (Coburn and) our whole D-line, ‘It’s our time,” Ford said.

Without Ford, Sarkisian previously said it’s likely that Texas drops this game. Trailing 10-24 with a minute and a half left in the second quarter, Martinez had the ball deep in his own territory to try and score before the half. After completing a 13-yard pass to senior wide receiver Kade Warner, he set back up in the shotgun, looking for another pass to stop the clock. 

However, Ford read Martinez like a book. As Martinez was about to throw to senior wide receiver Malik Knowles, Ford ditched his coverage and swept over to the right side of the field to place himself right in front of the wide receiver. Football in hand, Ford ran 18 yards to Kansas State’s 27-yard line, setting up Texas for another touchdown before the half.

With Texas’ win over Kansas State on Saturday, the Longhorns are now bowl eligible. However, they have TCU, Kansas and Baylor left on the schedule, all of whom sit among the top five teams in the conference.

“I’m really happy for our seniors because we didn’t have that opportunity a year ago,” Sarkisian said. “To solidify that, that was awesome. But like I told the guys, we’re not done.”