UT hosts first Black Inauguration, inducting all presidents of Black student organizations

Reya Mosby, Life and Arts Editor

After rushing around the Texas Union and being told repeatedly to change into his suit for the approaching event, Zion James finally prepared to enter the ballroom. Doors opened as melodic processional music rang throughout the room, revealing a long line of every president of UT’s Black student organizations decorated in elegant white formal-wear, ready to be officially inducted into their positions. 

Surrounded by a sea of applause, James strode into the room smiling ear to ear as all previous worries melted away. A catalog of speakers presented opening remarks, including vice president for student affairs and dean of students Soncia Reagins-Lilly, who set the tone for the night after looking upon the honorees and saying, “I see Black excellence.”

On Oct. 25, Afrikan American Affairs and the Multicultural Engagement Center hosted UT’s first Black Inauguration with the assistance of several other student and University organizations in the Union’s Shirley Bird Perry Ballroom. The event consisted of numerous speakers, special awards and a ceremony that gifted each president with a gavel. Black Inauguration brought together UT’s 35 Black student organizations to induct the new presidents of each group, all to celebrate the history of Black leadership and excellence on campus. 

“It meant a lot to the community because it was another chance for us to celebrate,” said James, a sociology and Black studies senior and main organizer of the event. “Student leaders are the backbone of the Black community. For them to be acknowledged and celebrated will mean a lot because we don’t get that every day.”

James formulated the idea for Black Inauguration as a sophomore at UT after seeing other schools’ Black Student Unions inaugurate their Black Student Government presidents. From there, James developed a slightly different idea, aiming to celebrate Black leadership as a whole on UT’s campus. 

Over the years, as James brought life to the celebration, Ginata Lopez, a health and society senior and president of Black Women Wellness Organization, said she felt inspired seeing him turn ambitions to action to create such an uplifting event.  

“Zion has been talking about this since his (sophomore) year,” Lopez said. “To hear him talk about it and finally see it happen was really inspiring and impactful. For him to get funding for it, get people to show up for it and utilize all of his connections (to) create something for everyone was really cool and very impactful.” 

Public health junior and Black Student Alliance president Jasmine Windon said she regulates the organization’s general body meetings and executive board meetings, helps plan socials and oversees all other positions in the organization. Windon said she never expected to be recognized for her hard work and achievements in this type of grandiose event.   

“I never expect recognition for what I do, I just do it,” Windon said. “Since I don’t expect recognition, it was really nice to … be there in the room with different precursors that were leaders before we were and leaders on campus (who) became faculty members. It was just nice to be recognized and have people know everything that we do is for a purpose.”

Lopez said being president of Black Women’s Wellness Organization includes carefully curating a safe and welcoming environment that constantly attracts new members through planning various events and working to make sure the organization leaves an impact on the community. Despite her countless list of miscellaneous responsibilities, Lopez said she deems her work rewarding and loves watching the organization grow. 

“It’s difficult sometimes being a Black leader on campus, especially at a (predominantly white institution), because it feels like the school isn’t really for you and supporting what you want to do,” Lopez said. “It’s also really great because you get to see people come together and the hard work you put in to create unity within Black UT pay off.”

Because of the demanding workload and dedication required to be the president of a Black student organization, Lopez said it felt nice to be celebrated at the event. 

“(It’s) really important that Black leaders get recognition on campus because we do so much,” Lopez said. “Everyone fights so hard for their organization to get members, make change and do something important.”

James said in showcasing the achievements of Black student leaders, the historical event highlighted the strength and power they each hold. 

“Hearing all of the speakers and everything they had to say — it really did feel like we are history in the making,” Windon said. 

Windon said that this event highlighted the Black student population at UT’s ability to create spaces and opportunities in which they can uplift one another’s successes, especially when institutions won’t.

“If we don’t (celebrate Black leadership) ourselves, the University’s not, which is unfortunate, but the greatest thing about the Black community is we’re always there for each other,” Windon said. “We create those spaces for us to celebrate each other and celebrate our leaders.”

Black Inauguration provided a lively event that honored Black leadership, success and excellence on campus, showcasing past and present leaders on campus in an environment that radiated love and celebration.   

“It was such a great moment to see so many great things — people crying, people celebrating, people loving upon us, people loving upon each other,” James said. “(It was) just a great moment to see us be a community in a time where we need it the most.”