Student artist Zak P talks success of viral song, relationship with music

Angela Lim, Life & Arts desk editor

For Zak Pham, music naturally intertwined with his life from childhood. The advertising junior said he started going to live shows with his mom and sister at 9 years old. His house in Houston also became a venue where local artists and community members could perform. From playing with April Company — a band with his high school friends — to exploring his solo work, Pham developed an indie bedroom pop sound known for its reverb and dreamy guitars.

The Daily Texan spoke with Pham — who goes by Zak P on streaming platforms — about his viral song “honey” and what creating his own music means to him.

The Daily Texan: How does it feel to reach a million streams with “honey” on Spotify? What does this achievement mean to you?

Zak P: Honestly, I didn’t even realize it happened until people (messaged) me. … When (“honey”) came out, it was just rising and rising. It was too surreal, like, everyone is coming out and saying they support me and appreciate (my music). I’ve never had this much support, especially through music.

DT: What is “honey” about?

ZP: “honey” is about a crush. It’s the romanticization of those feelings, as if you’re in a fake relationship with that person in your head. … Basically, I was just so infatuated with this person, yet I (felt) like I’m always going to be let down by this expectation.

DT: How did the song come about, composition-wise?

ZP: My freshman year in college, I had a challenge where I was going to write one song a day. (“honey”) really just started out with that lead (guitar) line. When I first made it, I was like, “This is trash” because I never made something like this; it’s so cheesy. With composition, I don’t think that hard. I like messing around with chords. (The song’s chords) just came together and ended up sounding really pretty, and I made a clip of it, and then people were like, “This is actually pretty good.”

DT: In an Instagram post last year, you said you thought about quitting music, but “honey” pulled you out of it. How did its release inspire you to continue writing more songs?

ZP: (For a time,) I was like, “I don’t think I can even touch a guitar or start writing anything.” Through that process, I took a break, and then I started realizing that the only reason I made music (was) to cope, and it makes me happy. The only way I can deal with these feelings is if I keep writing because there’s no other way to communicate this. I’m really glad I still did. I wouldn’t be here today if I didn’t have music in my life.

DT: How does creating music tie into your identity and yourself as a person?

ZP: It’s very focused on (my) individuality. I grew up pretty independent (with) just my mom and my sister. It was a big part of me. A lot of people (were) telling me I couldn’t do something, (that) I was never going to make it. I got rejected from a lot of stuff. I kept trying to make something every day, no matter if it was bad or good. I was like, “I need to get better because … it shows that I’m actually something in this world — this is worth it.” (My music identity) is heavy on my independence. I don’t want people to think I’m incapable.