Texas fires Chris Beard, Rodney Terry named interim head coach

Texas+head+basketball+coach+Chris+Beard+leaves+the+court+for+halftime+during+a+game+against+UTRGV+on+Dec.+3%2C+2021.+

Assad Malik

Texas head basketball coach Chris Beard leaves the court for halftime during a game against UTRGV on Dec. 3, 2021.

Mantra Dave, Managing Editor

CW: This article contains mentions of interpersonal violence. 

Texas has fired men’s basketball head coach Chris Beard, for cause, according to a Jan. 5 statement from Texas Athletics. Interim head coach Rodney Terry will lead the Longhorns through the end of the 22-23 season. 

“The University of Texas has parted ways with Chris Beard,” athletic director Chris Del Conte said in a statement. “Today I informed Mr. Beard of our decision to terminate him effective immediately.”

Beard’s dismissal comes almost a month after he was arrested and charged with third-degree felony assault on a family member. Texas had suspended Beard indefinitely without pay on Dec. 12. Terry, who was hired as associate head coach, assumed the role of acting head coach upon Beard’s suspension.

According to Austin police spokesman Brandon Jones, Beard is alleged to have strangled a woman at a home in Austin’s Tarrytown neighborhood. According to the arrest affidavit, Beard’s fiancé, Randi Trew, told police that Beard choked, bit and threw her off a bed, resulting in bruises on her legs. The victim said she was unable to breathe as a result of the choking, according to the affidavit. Trew issued a statement on Dec. 23 denying that she told police Beard choked her. Travis County records show that Beard’s next court date is set for Jan. 18.

Beard was in his second season as head coach of the Longhorns after leaving Texas Tech. He was less than two years into a seven-year, $35 million contract, which included a provision for dismissal if charged with a felony. Since Beard was fired for cause, he will not be eligible to receive any remaining contract payments.

Beard was 29-13 as Texas’ head coach, including a 7-1 record during the 22-23 season. 

In six games as acting head coach, Terry is 5-1, with the lone loss coming on Tuesday against Kansas State. Texas was ranked No. 6 in Monday’s AP Poll. The Longhorns’ next game is on Saturday, against Oklahoma State in Stillwater.