No. 6 Texas overcomes pressure in 56-46 road win against Oklahoma State

Payne Williams, Sports Desk Editor

No. 6 Texas earned a much-needed win Saturday, defeating Oklahoma State 56-46 and proving its ability to play smothering defense.

Despite the low-scoring matchup and wildly different performance to Tuesday’s loss to Kansas State, Texas pulled out its second conference win on the road.

Defense proved king for much of the Big 12 matchup as neither team had much offensive breathing room and failed to capitalize on scoring opportunities.

The Cowboys recorded seven blocks to Texas’ zero in the first half. The Longhorns, on the other hand, recorded five steals on their way to forcing 11 first-half turnovers.

Despite Oklahoma State’s tough defense, Texas jumped to an eight-point lead with five minutes remaining in the first half, but both teams struggled to score to close the half.

The Longhorns and Cowboys combined went 0-for-11 shooting in the final four minutes of the first half, which featured several turnovers on both ends.

Texas entered halftime with a 32-24 lead, marking one of the Longhorns’ most impressive defensive halves of the season

Freshman forward Dillon Mitchell tied his season high of 12 rebounds, which were all needed during the poor day of shooting. The Longhorns shot a combined 31.5% from across the floor.

The mistake-ridden first half bled into the second as Texas continued to force turnovers, but squandered scoring opportunities on the offensive end.

After scoring on their opening possession of the second half, the Longhorns missed their next seven shots from the floor, and wouldn’t score again until 13 minutes and 35 seconds remained in the game.

Texas lost its lead shortly after Texas State transfer Caleb Asberry hit a three, putting Oklahoma State ahead for the first time since the beginning of the game. But, the Longhorns regained momentum from two critical three-point shots by graduate senior forward Brock Cunningham.

The Longhorns went on a short 6-0 run to stretch its lead late and keep Oklahoma at arm’s length away, but the Texas offense was not at its best Saturday.

Texas recorded 15 turnovers of their own but struggled scoring both near the basket and behind the arc against the stout Oklahoma State defense.

The Longhorns moved to an overall record of 13–2 and 2–1 in the Big 12. Texas hosts No. 17 TCU at the Moody Center on Wednesday night.