Around Austin: Events, things to do this January

Logan Dubel, Senior Life&Arts Reporter

No matter the month, entertainment and excitement never stop in Austin. As the spring semester begins, The Daily Texan compiled a list of the best events around the city for UT students to check out in January.

Jan. 14-15 – City-Wide Vintage Sale

From vinyl records and vibrant boots to old license plates, check out an array of low-priced vintage treasures at the City-Wide Vintage Sale, open Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Hosted regularly since 1977 and located at the Palmer Events Center, the vintage sale costs $9 for admission. 

Jan. 16 – MLK Celebration

Observed on the third Monday of January each year, Martin Luther King Jr. Day commemorates  the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Organized by the Austin Area Heritage Council, the MLK celebration kicks off at 9 a.m. with a program at the MLK statue located on the East Mall on campus. The celebration continues with a march to the Texas Capitol for a rally. Following the rally, the march will make its way to a community festival beginning at 11:15 a.m. at Huston-Tillotson University. Featuring vendors, local musical artists and a food drive, the festival ends at 3:30 p.m.

Jan. 17-22 – “Pretty Woman: The Musical”

With eight shows at the Bass Concert Hall as a part of its national tour, “Pretty Woman: The Musical” provides students and the local Austin community the chance to see a broadway-level performance on campus. With a big “Welcome to Hollywood,” an adventurous “Rodeo Drive” and the triumphant act of “Freedom,” the musical numbers will have audience members humming across the Forty Acres.

Jan. 22 – Lunar New Year Festival

Celebrate the year of the rabbit with The Paper + Craft Pantry in East Austin. Returning for its second year, the annual event features numerous vendors and artists of Asian descent, lion and dragon dance performances, as well as other family-friendly activities. Running from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., festival goers can either purchase a $50 VIP ticket that includes a goody bag or donate whatever amount they can for admission. 

Jan. 22 – 3M Half Marathon

Bright and early on a Sunday morning, thousands will embark on a 13.1 mile trek around downtown Austin and UT. The race, open to all, includes a lively course with serenades from local bands to keep runners motivated.

All month – ACL Live Music

Live music never fails to provide a plethora of opportunities for entertainment in Austin. In January, Rodney Carrington and Ginuwine will perform at the Moody Theater, while Caramelo Haze, Eric Hutchinson, Durry and Kolton Moore take to the stage downstairs at 3TEN ACL Live.