Campus food truck USA Halal provides students a taste of home

Meera Hatangadi, Life and Arts General Reporter

When Ali Hussain opened his late-night food truck USA Halal near the McCombs Graduate School of Business in 2020, most students stayed indoors due to the pandemic. Hussain’s business faced a major impact as campus life quickly shut down.

“I opened two, three days before the lockdown. At that time, I had maybe just one customer every day, and it was very hard for me and my business,” Hussain said. “But I did not close. I kept working and working.”

USA Halal sells Mediterranean food, with some main dishes being kebab, chicken tikka, shawarma and falafels. Prior to opening his food truck, Hussain said his past experience cooking Mediterranean food in Iraq, and his time working at Maggiano’s Little Italy, served as inspiration for his business.

Hussain said despite the business’ rocky beginning, it now welcomes many students each day.

“It’s 100% different. I have more customers,” Hussain said. “Now, a lot of students come here and enjoy, and it’s a good time for my business.” 

Just as Hussain said he appreciates his student customers, hungry students see his food truck as a place that feels like home. Finance sophomore Shobhan Mohanty said he found USA Halal after a late-night basketball session with friends.

“We were pretty hungry. We were like, ‘What’s open nearby?’” Mohanty said. “We tried USA Halal, and that was when we fell in love. We just kept going back every time.”

Located five minutes from the basketball courts where Mohanty and his friends would play, the food truck became a favorite for the group during their freshman year. Mohanty said they went at least once a week.

“Freshman year, on campus there was nothing to eat (late at night), so the only thing on campus was USA Halal,” Mohanty said. “It was like a bond being built — once you go, you can’t not go. I felt loyal to that brand.” 

Aside from the convenience and sentimental value of USA Halal, students also enjoy the familiar food and good company, Mohanty said.

“It’s definitely the most comfort food I’ve had since coming here because every time I go, it’s always with my friends,” Mohanty said. “It’s … something we can all bond over. It’s definitely a place we have a special connection with.”

While Mohanty said he only goes to USA Halal once every two weeks now in his sophomore year, new freshmen soon rose to carry on the tradition of frequently going to the food truck.

Arnav Chopra discovered USA Halal when his friend told him about the food truck. It soon became a staple and safe space for his group, he said.

“I’ve gone a couple of times now, and it’s just comfort food,” Chopra, a computer science freshman, said. “You hit up the food truck when you’re feeling down, and you just want to have a relaxing meal with some friends.”

Hussain said he feels glad that students find comfort in USA Halal, and he hopes to expand USA Halal to create different branches under his leadership in the future.

“I’m happy when I get customers,” Hussain said. “They could be people from America, from different countries or even students who come to visit for three or four days.”