UT alum’s short film ‘When You Left Me On That Boulevard’ to appear at Sundance Film Festival

Corinne Piorkowski, Life and Arts General Reporter

In her childhood home in San Diego, Kayla Abuda Galang often sat wide-eyed in front of a TV her parents hooked up with digital cable.

Galang said she came across many short films on late-night channels, which differed in production from blockbuster movies she watched in theaters. She pondered on her place in the world of filmmaking and the endless possibilities she’d create. 

“It’s been a lifelong journey,” 2014 UT alumna Galang said. “I was already seeing more diverse voices and modes of storytelling. Seeing niche programming gave me permission to start exploring filmmaking as a viable path.”

Even when Galang left California in 2007, she said her Filipino heritage and childhood experiences continue to stay with her in her creative work. This sparked her latest short film “When You Left Me On That Boulevard,” which features a lively family gathering through the eyes of a teenager and her cousins. The short film will screen at the Sundance Film Festival, the biggest independent film festival in the U.S., beginning Saturday.

When Galang received a call from Sundance around Thanksgiving, she said she couldn’t believe the opportunity. 

“I proceeded to sob and freak out. All my producers came over, and I took the day off,” Galang said. “I was a really excited, happy zombie for the rest of the day.”

Galang said she pictured the film as a love letter to her younger self as she escaped uncharitable habits from childhood towards herself as an adult.

“My background and creation of this film (are) so intimately tied together,” Galang said. “I want to revisit this specific time and place through the lens of an adult.”

Cast member Whitney Agustin said much of the film’s success can be attributed to Galang’s compassion on set.

“She really takes her time in getting to know you as a person, and that made the whole set experience work,” Agustin said. “The reason we have so much faith in this film (is) because Kayla was able to bring us all together to create something as big as this.”

When her team launched production for “When You Left Me On That Boulevard,” Galang said she faced difficulties in obtaining funds. To combat this, she held a crowdfunding campaign that raised around $20,000 to kickstart production. Additionally, Galang said she wanted to hire people that would upkeep the crew’s well-being. 

“It mattered to me and my producers that we took care of our people,” Galang said. “It became one team effort where everyone was invested and supportive.”

Co-producer Samatha Skinner said she feels passionate about representing immigrant stories in film and loves “When You Left Me On That Boulevard” because of its lightheartedness.

“(Diaspora films) tend to be about hardship (and) trauma, (and) those stories are so valid. … But it’s unfortunate that those are the only kinds of films that have seen success,” Skinner said. “I would love for people to see this (as) a different diaspora film. I hope people laugh a lot and it opens their mind to what a diaspora film can be.”

Galang said she hopes the film provides an immersive experience that reminds viewers of their origins and loved ones with a newfound appreciation for them.

“Whenever I’ve watched (“When You Left Me On That Boulevard”) back, I’ve always just wanted to call my mom and tell her I love her,” Galang said. “I hope audiences will call their person and tell them they love them. That’s it.”