Around Austin: Events, things to do this February

Logan Dubel, Senior Life&Arts Reporter

No matter the month, Austin boasts a nonstop catalog of entertainment and exciting events. As temperatures drop and the semester heats up, The Daily Texan compiled a list of the best events around the city for UT students to check out in February. 

Feb. 4 – Carnaval Brasileiro 

When Brazilian students studying at UT in 1978 wanted to feel a sense of home and celebrate Carnaval, a festive event held before the fasting season of Lent, they started Carnaval Brasileiro. Now a massive indoor carnival at Speakeasy filled with costumes, dancing and music, the event welcomes over 5,000 guests. Carnaval will offer wristbands online or at the venue for $35. 

Feb. 5 – Jo’s Annual Chili Cook-Off

As Austin freezes over this winter, Jo’s 16th Annual Chilli Cook-Off along South Congress Avenue offers Austinites a way to warm up. The cook-off includes chili-themed competitions and live music running from noon to 3 p.m. The contest offers free entry, but to sample and vote for the best chili, participants can purchase a $25 wristband on-site. 

Feb. 9 – Backcountry Film Festival 

The 18th annual Backcountry Film Festival comes to Oskar Blues Brewery featuring short documentaries and ski movies celebrating the outdoors and its picturesque landscapes. The festival supports the nonprofit Winter Wildlands Alliance, which contributes to local winter recreation and conservation efforts. 

Feb. 14-19 – Aladdin 

Bass Concert Hall welcomes Disney’s “Aladdin,” transporting audiences on a magic carpet ride and into “A Whole New World.” The Broadway musical will perform eight shows in Austin as part of its ongoing North American Tour. From “Arabian Nights” to “Prince Ali” and “Friend Like Me,” audiences can instantly recognize the hit songs from the 1992 animated original as the colorfully costumed cast takes the stage. 

Feb. 27-March 5 – ATX Open 

Austin tennis fans will be delighted this year as the ATX Open hosts its inaugural tournament at the Westwood Country Club. Open to the public, the tournament will host singles and doubles matches, establishing itself as the largest women’s sporting event in Austin. 

Valentine’s Day Activities 

Plenty of restaurants across Austin offer romantic candlelit dinners for lovebirds, but even singles can get in on the Valentine’s Day action. The Feels So Good Valentine’s Day Market along East Alpine Road on Feb. 12 showcases music, drinks and local vendors. Other events include the Art in ATX: Valentine’s Market at Batch Craft Beer and Kolaches and a card-making day at Austin Creative Reuse, both in the afternoon on Feb. 5.

ACL Live Music

While the Moody Center plans to welcome big names in February, including Adam Sandler, Bruce Springsteen and Journey, the Moody Theater and 3Ten ACL Live sport a busy calendar of artists, as well. Select performers include Kool & the Gang, P1Harmony, Lyle Lovett, Rumours — A Fleetwood Mac Tribute and Haley Reinhart.