Longhorn Track and Field set records in Boston, South Carolina over weekend

Gabrielle Norman, General Sports Reporter

Texas returned to competition this weekend with a split team, as the distance runners headed to the Valentine Invitational in Boston, Massachusetts and the rest competed in the Tiger Paw Invite in Clemson, South Carolina.

Graduate Julien Alfred and junior Rhasidat Adeleke went into the weekend as Co-Performers of the Week, and Alfred was named the USTFCCCA Co-National Athlete of the Week for the second time this season. The eight-time All-American shaved .02 seconds off her previous collegiate 60m record over the weekend, clocking in at 7.00 seconds, and now holds the five fastest 60m times in collegiate history. This is the fourth National Athlete of the Week awarded to a Longhorn this indoor season with graduate Kennedy Simon and senior sprinter Brian Herron collecting the award on Dec. 6 and Alfred earning her first on Jan. 24.

In Boston, graduate Valery Tobias broke a 35-year record in the 1000m with her time of 2:40.94 in her second race of the day. She also started the morning with an eighth-place finish in the 800m with her time of 2:04.09, the fifth-fastest time in Texas history.

At Tiger Paw, the women’s 60m sprinters climbed the All-Time Performer List after junior Kevona Davis set a personal-best time of 7.19 and moved to No. 7 in Texas history, and graduate Ezinne Abba moved up to No. 9 with her personal-best time of 7.20.

Senior Marcellus Moore had a successful day in the 60m dash, breaking the Texas record on Friday night. He advanced to the semi-finals after a time of 6.68 and dropped his time to 6.61 seconds to advance to the finals. Moore fell short in the final but set a program record with a time of 6.56, which ranks as the fourth-fastest time in the NCAA this season.

Graduate Jonathan Jones finished the day fourth in the 400m with a time of 45.78 seconds. That tied the third-fastest time in Texas history that he set previously at the same meet two seasons ago.

Several Longhorns saw success in the field events as well. Junior Kristine Blazevica completed a 6.15m (20-2.25) high jump and moved to No. 10 on the All-Time long jump performer list. Junior Michelle Graham finished just behind Blazevica with a personal-best mark of 6.14m (20-1.75). On the men’s side, sophomore Solomon Washington finished eighth with his jump of 7.41m (24-3.75) and freshman Jeremiah Nubbe finished fifth in the men’s weight throw with a toss of 20.97m (68-9.75). After four collegiate meets, Nubbe now has four top-20 throws in Texas history and remains the No. 3 performer.

Texas track and field is set to compete next weekend indoors at the Arkansas Invitational in Fayetteville on Friday and outdoors at the Alex Wilson Invitational at Notre Dame on Saturday.