No. 1 Texas women’s tennis falls short in ITA National Team Indoor Championship

Aakriti Singla, General Sports Reporter

After a 4–0 sweep against Washington on Friday evening, No. 1 Texas fell short in the quarterfinals against No. 14 Iowa State, losing 4–1. The Longhorns concluded the ITA National Team Indoor Championships with a 4–2 win against No. 15 Oklahoma on Sunday at the Nordstrom Tennis Center in Seattle. 

Though Friday night’s match was slightly delayed, it didn’t stop the Longhorns’ momentum. 

With junior Taisiya Pachkaleva and freshman Nicole Rivkin winning the doubles point in a 6–4 win against Zehra Suko and Hikaru Sato, the Longhorns secured an early doubles point. 

Sophomore Sabina Zeynalova dominated in her singles matchup, winning three straight games in her second set for a victory, 6–1. 

Freshman Nicole Khirin and junior Malaika Rapolu followed suit, winning their respective singles matches to give Texas the 4–0 sweep to start off the championship weekend. 

However, the undefeated Longhorns were unable to keep up the momentum on Saturday’s quarterfinal match against No. 14 Iowa State. 

The Cyclones gained an early 1–0 doubles clinch after Pachkaleva and Rivkin were defeated 6–2 by opponents Ange Oby Kajuru and Xinyl Nong. 

Things began to look up for the Longhorns in singles when graduate Marlee Zein evened the match 1–1 after a 6–2, 6–2 win over Chie Kezuka. 

But it wasn’t enough for the Longhorns. Iowa State fought back and won the next three singles matches to post a 4–1 finish over Texas, giving the Longhorns their first loss of the season. 

Sunday’s consolation match against No. 15 Oklahoma resulted in a 4–2 victory for Texas. 

Oklahoma took a 1–0 lead, clinching the doubles point after Ivana Corley and Carmen Corley beat the Texas duo Khirin and junior Charlotte Chavatipon 6–1. 

Texas answered back in singles, where Pachkaleva grabbed a 6–2, 6–3 victory against Garcia Ruiz. On court 3, though, No. 83 Dana Guizman answered back, defeating Rapolu 6–0, 6–3 to give the Sooners a 2–1 lead. 

Rivkin and Chavatipon commanded their respective courts with two singles victories and together gave the Longhorns a 3–2 lead. After a close match between Zein and Alexandra Pisareva, Zein ended the match with a 1–6, 6–3, 6–3 victory over Pisareva for a 4–2 Texas victory.

The Longhorns are now 8–1 and will resume their season Feb. 25 when they play against No. 6 Stanford at the Texas Tennis Center.