The live music capital no more: new census reveals local musicians are leaving Austin due to living costs

Vivien Ayers, Senior News Reporter

The second-ever Greater Austin Music Census published earlier this month revealed local bands — especially ones composed of Gen Z musicians — are being pushed out of the city due to rising living costs. 

Sound Music Cities, a social and activist group for those in the music industry, partnered with over 50 local organizations including UT radio station KUTX to create the census. According to Don Pitts, co-founder of Sound Music Cities, the group adjusted the census questions to better their scope in diversity, equity and inclusion. By doing this, the census revealed that the amount of Gen Z bands in Austin are decreasing, which he attributes, at least in part, to rising living costs and COVID-19. 

“There’s always been concern about the (industry’s) shape shrinking,” Pitts said. “There will always be an industry, but there’s going to be a challenge for local music in general.” 

The census revealed that due to rising housing prices, most local musicians are being pushed out of central Austin to the suburbs. Out of the interviewed people, 38% struggle to afford Austin housing and 89% plan to continue their music career within the next three years. Only 64% are planning to stay in Austin during that time — meaning one-third of these people will leave altogether due to cost.

“I don’t want to live in Texas forever, and Austin, in particular, is a really expensive place to live,” said Jackson Cox, government junior and member of local band Slurp the World. “But if we want to keep the band going, we kind of have to stay here in Austin. I’m not really sure how that’s going to balance out.”

The 2022 American Growth Census labeled Austin the second-fastest growing city in the nation. The census said the average rent cost had grown 10% over the past year, which supports a recent Zillow report stating a person has to work five minimum wage jobs to afford a standard two-bedroom apartment in Austin. Between rent, groceries and music-related expenses, Pitts said it is no surprise musicians are leaving the city. 

“If (Austin) becomes one homogenized being, when we’re not really (meant to be) one homogenized entity, that’s not good for anybody,” said Matt Rielly, director of programs at KUTX. “So if we can maintain and celebrate our diversity as much as possible, it’s going to just help our scene in the long term.”

The census states the best way to assist these musicians is by creating more community resources and support systems for bands. It also said by changing the current structure of the music industry to support local bands, it would foster a closer music community through the provision of more grants.

“I’ve known bands going in together in (paying for) practice spaces, and it ties them together,” Cox said. “I’ve seen that go bad a few times. But since you have a stake in it, (if) it gets kind of (bad), it’ll ruin a friendship.”