UT student YouTuber Audrey Atienza talks documenting college life, staying authentic to herself

Lorianne Willett

Corporate communications junior Audrey Atienza poses outside of the DMC on February 15, 2023. Atienza is a popular YouTuber with over 130,000 subscribers.

Isabella Zeff, General Life & Arts Reporter

Audrey Atienza started her YouTube channel in 2018 with no intention of going viral.

“I wanted something that was completely by me,” said corporate communications junior Atienza. “I decided to start vlogging because I could edit (and) film myself, it was all under my control.”

A few of Atienza’s early videos, including one documenting her high school prom in 2019, received thousands of views. Then, in March of her junior year, Atienza’s popularity exploded with a high school “day in my life” video that amassed over 3 million views.

“It was definitely, in the moment, very overwhelming,” Atienza said. “When it comes to a super viral video, it comes with a lot of hate comments just because it’s reaching more people. … That was definitely a learning process I had to go through.”

Four years later, Atienza boasts over 130,000 subscribers on her channel that primarily consists of lifestyle vlogs showing her days as a college student.

Atienza’s mother, Katie Atienza, said that although the channel’s growth excited her daughter, Audrey didn’t get caught up in the likes or the followers.

“She does it for her, and she’s always stayed true to herself, which I love,” Katie said. “She knows who she is, and I love that (her success) hasn’t changed what she does.”

Atienza said she attributes her success to having a primarily younger audience since they use her videos as a guide to the next steps of their lives, which is a journey Atienza also followed as a high schooler heading into college.

“In high school, I watched all these college vlogs. Now, I love watching other college influencers to relate to them and see what their life is like,” Atienza said. “That’s why I try to make my vlogs very real-life and (try not) to overproduce it too much. People are drawn to … a familiar face.”

Atienza said she acknowledges that social media can show an idealized version of life, so she reminds her audience that her real life doesn’t always look like the seemingly polished days she chooses to film.

“That’s not my everyday, even though it is my life,” Atienza said. “Obviously not every day is going to be perfect, and I’m not going to share everything on the vlog or every little thought that’s going through my head.”

Atienza’s friend, Samantha Sonka, said Atienza’s authenticity in front of the camera reflects her real-life self.

“When you have a social media presence, sometimes things can come off as posed, but she’s a very genuine friend, and she’s a normal person too,” education junior Sonka said. 

Atienza said she plans on expanding her videos beyond college vlogs, but she also wants to take advantage of her remaining year and a half in college to document these moments in her life.

“The videos are for me too,” Atienza said. “I love going back and watching my freshman year vlogs. Having those memories documented is so cool.”

Long term, Atienza said she hopes to extend her channel into a business, ideally a jewelry company. However, she said she also values a career path outside of YouTube, which will present new opportunities for video content.

“Some of my subscribers have been watching me since high school and (now) we’re going through college together,” Atienza said. “Post-grad, I plan to continue sharing my life with everyone.”