Higher education officials discuss legislature and funding

Tess Harmon, General News Reporter

The Texas Tribune hosted a panel to discuss the budget for higher education in the 2023 Texas legislative session on Thursday.

Harrison Keller, the higher education commissioner of Texas, and Brenda Hellyer, the chancellor of San Jacinto College, addressed the most pressing issues surrounding the funding for higher education in the current session, such as the proposed two-year tuition freeze for Texas’ six biggest state university systems, which would include UT-Austin. University chancellors have asked for nearly $1 billion in funding for higher education to keep current undergraduate tuition from increasing for the next two years.

Keller said he expects positive feedback from policymakers regarding the proposed tuition freeze, given that Texas policymakers have already shown a commitment to funding both community colleges and research universities.

“I’m more optimistic in this session than I’ve ever been,” Keller said.

Keller also recognized that the rise in housing costs and general inflation impact the affordability of college, but noted that the $1 billion funding request would alleviate these expenses.

“When we can provide additional support to the institutions and additional financial aid, that also helps offset those other costs,” Keller said.

The panelists also discussed how recent political action taken by Gov. Greg Abbott to cease DEI hiring practices at public universities might affect the state’s goal of reaching 60% of Texans having a degree or credential by 2030. The UT System recently responded by pausing new DEI policies at all campuses.

“Texas added … about 4 million residents over the last decade; 95% of that growth has been in communities of color,” Keller said. “If we’re not advancing so that everyone has an opportunity to … benefit from our state, we cannot meet our goals.”

Hellyer said the Community College Finance Commission’s aim is to overhaul the funding of Texas community colleges to focus more on affordability and equitable access.

“There will be additional funding in those areas based on students who are economically disadvantaged, academically disadvantaged … and then also adult learners coming back to community colleges,” Hellyer said. “At community colleges, we are focused around that whole student.”