Texas track and field takes home bronze and silver at Big 12 Indoor Championships

JT Bowen, General Sports Reporter

Texas men’s and women’s track and field placed third and second respectively at the Big 12 Indoor Championships in Lubbock, Texas this weekend.

While it wasn’t the sweep of first place Texas completed at last year’s event, the Longhorns put together a solid showing and will look to carry the momentum into the NCAA Indoor Championships.

The highlight of the weekend for the Longhorns was graduate student Julien Alfred’s 6.97-second 60m dash, breaking her own collegiate record for the third time this year and bringing the record below the seven second mark, further cementing herself as an all-time great in the sport’s history. Alfred added a first-place finish in the women’s 200m with a time of 22.26 seconds which set a new UT record in the event, and she was followed closely by fellow graduate student Lanae Tava-Thomas who placed second with a time of 22.63 seconds.

Graduate student Ezinne Abba finished third in the women’s 60m with a personal best of 7.17 seconds, and Tava-Thomas and Kevona Davis placed sixth and seventh respectively with times of 7.31 seconds and 7.33 seconds, giving the Longhorns half of the top-8 spots.

Junior Rhasidat Adeleke and graduate student Kennedy Simon placed first and second respectively in the women’s 400m, with Adeleke breaking her own record with a time of 50.33 seconds and Simon close behind with a time of 51.01 seconds.

Graduate student Rachel Helbling took home first in the women’s 600-yard dash with a time of 1:18.41, senior Brooke Jaworski placed third in the women’s 800m with a time of 2:06.38 and graduate student Valery Tobias won the women’s 1000m, turning in a 2:43.85 time.

Junior Trinity Tomlinson was the runner-up in the women’s high jump with a 1.76m effort and junior Michelle Graham placed fifth in the women’s long jump with a 6.12m leap.

Senior Marilyn Nwora won the women’s shot put with a personal best toss of 17.33m and the women’s 4×400 relay team placed third with a time of 3:36.04 seconds, capping off a great effort from the women’s side.

On the men’s side, senior Marcellus Moore placed fifth in a highly-competitive 60m dash with a time of 6.59 seconds, trailed closely by sophomore Nolton Shelvin who finished in sixth with a 6.61. Out of the eight finalists, two were Longhorns and the other six represented Texas Tech.

The duo of Moore and Shelvin placed fourth and seventh in the men’s 200m with times of 20.67 seconds and 21.11 seconds, respectively.

Junior Yusuf Bizimana placed first in the men’s 600-yard dash with a time of 1:08.00 flat, notching the third-fastest time in NCAA history.

Senior Crayton Carrozza took home first in the men’s 800m for the second straight year with a time of 1:48.52, and a third-place finish in the mile with a 3:59.77 time.

Sophomore Isaac Alonzo, junior Rodger Rivera and senior Haftu Knight all finished in the top-10 of the men’s 3000m with times of 8:12.22, 8:12.89 and 8:15.82, respectively. Knight added a runner-up finish in the 5000m with a time of 14:18.75.

Freshman Kendrick Smallwood placed seventh in the 60m hurdles with a time of 12.99 seconds, and sophomore Solomon Washington finished second in the long jump with a 7.66m leap.

With a throw of 19.17 meters, senior Patrick Piperi placed third in the men’s shot put and freshman Jeremiah Nubbe was runner-up in the weight throw with a 21.72m effort.

The Longhorns will have the weekend off before returning to the Albuquerque Convention Center for a third time this season to finish off the indoor season at the NCAA Indoor Championships from March 10-11.