Around Austin: events, things to do this March

Logan Dubel, Senior Life&Arts Reporter

No matter the month, Austin boasts an endless list of exciting events. As the semester reaches the halfway mark, temperatures heat up and Texas bluebonnets bloom along the Main Mall, The Daily Texan compiled a list of the best events around the city for UT students to check out in March. 

March 10-19 — SXSW

When many students depart for spring break, industry professionals across the music, film and media industries will flock to Austin for the annual South By Southwest conference. The star-studded festival holds an international reputation for creativity and innovation, offering students prime networking opportunities and the chance to see everything from stand-up to screenings and concerts. 

March 10-25 — Rodeo Austin

Austin’s quirks sometimes feel out of place in Texas, but Rodeo Austin reminds its patrons of all things hailing from the Lone Star State. Fundraising for students and agricultural education, the nonprofit East Austin event offers more than two weeks of carnival rides, rodeo competitions, livestock shows, live performances and shopping. Headlining performers include Flo Rida and Tyler Hubbard of Florida Georgia Line. 

March 21 and 28 — Wildflower Center Tuesday Twilights 

For those looking to get out of Wampus and see some greenery, the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center in southwest Austin will remain open late on Tuesday evenings this spring, allowing visitors to take advantage of the beauteous and blooming flora. Along with nature’s serenity, the park offers live music, local artisans and food trucks. 

March 24-26 — NASCAR EchoPark Automotive Grand Prix  

Austin continues attracting racing fans, welcoming back NASCAR for the third time at the Circuit of The Americas track. While the official race on the 3.41-mile track runs Sunday afternoon, fans can catch practices and other series on Friday and Saturday as well. 

March 25 — Forty Acres Fest Concert

During West Fest, the University and the Interfraternity Council announced a partnership for a free headliner concert at the UT Tower open to all students. IFC said an announcement regarding the artist set to perform will come within the next few weeks. 

St. Patrick’s Day Celebrations 

St. Patrick’s Day celebrations won’t be the same this year after the cancellation of the annual festival due to lack of funding from the city of Austin. However, events including the St. Patrick’s Deaf Artisan Market Day at Buzz Mill in Riverside on March 4 and deals at various bars and restaurants will ensure Austinites still find a pot of gold. 

ACL Live 

ACL Live’s Moody Theater and its accompanying venue, 3Ten, welcome big names this month. Famed “Riptide” singer Vance Joy comes to town on March 20 and 21 (few tickets remain), and other performers include MANIA — The ABBA Tribute Show, Elle King, North Star Boys and Sabrina Carpenter.