What to expect in fashion this spring

Melani Alanis, General Life&Arts Reporter

As the seasons transition from winter to spring, students bring out brighter colors and a wider variety of clothes fit for the warmer weather. To prepare students for the upcoming season in fashion, The Daily Texan compiled a list of clothing trends and accessories as a forecast for what to wear this spring. 

Overalls

From skirt to shorts and pants form, overalls encompass a variety of styles and textures, including multi-colored combinations and two-toned denim. Holding onto a place in popular trends since the ‘60s, overalls prove to be here to stay for the versatility they bring to students’ wardrobes. 

Ribbons

A single ribbon holds endless possibilities as a clothing accessory and can be the cherry on top to any outfit. Not only can ribbons add dimension and variety to any hairstyle, be it intertwined in braids or tied onto ponytails, the accessory also works as a stylish piece when tied around the neck or collar. 

Soccer shoes

These athletic shoes can now help channel a cool, casual streetwear look. With a range of colors to choose from, students can pair these shoes with many outfits and aesthetics. While most know the Adidas Samba shoes as a classic, students can find similar styles in brands like Reebok.

Tennis dresses

Turning sportswear into a casual look, tennis dresses continue to rise in popularity. The dresses — suitable for both everyday and athletic wear — will especially stand out in pastel colors. Pair these dresses with a statement piece like a pearl necklace to elevate an outfit. 

Long casual dresses and flowy skirts

While mini skirts never go out of style, long dresses and skirts will resurface this season, ranging from dresses of various fits, necklines and sleeves from flowy or straight, and long skirts. Expect to see long, loose skirts paired with tight-fitting tops. Students can wear these skirts with any type of shoes, including sneakers, boots and sandals.

Sheer styles

Students should expect to see more sheer fabric shirts and dresses during the much warmer spring weather. Anything sheer can easily complement denim or leather pieces.

Button-up shirts

As a comfortable closet staple, button-up shirts can be changed up according to style preferences. While largely considered as formal wear, they can seamlessly turn into a more casual look depending on the buttons and length.