Cactus Cup preview: Texas women’s golf heads to Phoenix

Francesca Gigliotti, General Sports Reporter

No. 8 Texas is fresh off a fifth-place finish at the Darius Rucker Intercollegiate and will now travel to Phoenix, Arizona to compete in the Cactus Cup from March 13-14. 

The Longhorns will likely send their usual roster of freshmen Angela Heo and Cindy Hsu, sophomore Bohyun Park, junior Bentley Cotton and senior Sophie Guo. 

The Longhorns will face a tough field at the Papago Golf Course with No. 4 South Carolina, No. 6 San Jose State and No. 11 Arizona State filling out the four-team tournament. South Carolina sophomore Hannah Darling is currently ranked No. 7 in the nation among all Division I women’s golfers, according to Golfstat.com, and her teammate, senior Mathilde Claisse sits at No. 25. San Jose State has two golfers, senior Kajsa Arwefjall and graduate student Antonia Malate, ranked within the top 25 as well. 

At the Longhorns’ last tournament, Hsu led the team with a par finish, which was enough to tie her for T-4 individually. Behind her was Heo, who finished T-16, Park (T-49), Guo (T-53) and Cotton (T-71). 

Texas is yet to place below eighth this season, and has finished in the top five in four of their six tournaments this year. 

The Longhorns tee off on Monday at 7:57 a.m., going head-to-head with South Carolina first.