Around Austin: events, things to do this April

Logan Dubel, Senior Life&Arts Reporter

On the heels of the Country Music Television Music Awards, the month of April showers Austin with a variety of activities, including events focusing on sports, fashion, music and more. As the semester wraps up, The Daily Texan compiled a list of events for students to check out in April before summer break. 

April 8 — U.S. Women’s National Soccer Team Match

Although the Longhorn’s basketball season has ended, another massive sporting event comes to Austin’s Q2 Stadium. Marking its second-ever stop at the stadium, the U.S. Women’s National Soccer Team takes on Ireland’s team, offering students a unique chance to catch the team before they head to the FIFA World Cup this summer. 

April 12-23 — Moontower Just For Laughs Austin Comedy Festival

As the stress of finals season begins, the Paramount Theatre offers students a place to laugh with some of the biggest comics in the world. Along with rising comedians, the festival brings prominent comedy stars such as Leslie Jones, Samantha Bee, Seth Meyers and “America’s Got Talent” host Howie Mandel to its stage. 

April 21-23 — Austin Fashion Week

Glitz and glam come to The Domain this month as one of the nation’s largest designer events hits the runway. Celebrating its 15th anniversary, Austin Fashion Week highlights designers who shaped looks over the years, along with several pop-up shops. 

April 24 — ChillFest Presented by Campus Events + Entertainment

To prep for finals, students can visit the University Union for a relaxed event with crafts, food and other activities. Hosted from 12 to 4 p.m., this event offers students the chance to decompress ahead of, in between or following long study hours.

April 29 — Eeyore’s Birthday Party

Eeyore’s Birthday Party brings quirkiness to Pease Park. Launched amidst 60s counterculture and presented by the non-profit Friends of the Forest Foundation, the event celebrates the Winnie the Pooh character with drums, drinks and dancing. People in colorful costumes celebrate old Austin and proceeds benefit organizations across Central Texas. 

Notable Music Festivals

Austin continues its run as the “Live Music Capital of the World” throughout April with the Austin Reggae Festival featuring The Skatalites, Austin Psych Fest and the Austin Blues Festival, featuring Los Lobos.