Texas freshman forward Dillon Mitchell declares for NBA Draft, maintains collegiate eligibility

Mantra Dave, Managing Editor

Texas freshman forward Dillon Mitchell is entering the NBA Draft while maintaining his college eligibility, per his social media.

Mitchell started all of Texas’ 38 games this season as the Longhorns advanced to the Elite Eight before losing to Miami. As a true freshman, Mitchell averaged 4.3 points and 3.9 rebounds in 17.4 minutes per game. While his offensive game was relatively limited, Mitchell was an impactful defender against opposing wings and forwards.

Prior to enrolling at Texas, Mitchell was a highly touted recruit, being named the No. 5 prospect in the Class of 2022, per the 247 Sports Composite. The Tampa, Florida product was also a McDonald’s All-American and Jordan Brand All American.

Mitchell could be the eighth offseason departure from the Texas roster — Texas will be losing graduate guards Marcus Carr and Sir’Jabari Rice along with senior forwards Timmy Allen and Christian Bishop, as they have no remaining college eligibility. Redshirt freshman guard Rowan Brumbaugh transferred to Georgetown and freshman guard Arterio Morris has entered the transfer portal. Sophomore guard Tyrese Hunter has also entered the NBA Draft while maintaining collegiate eligibility.

The NCAA early entry withdrawal deadline to return to college, should Mitchell choose to do so, is May 31.