5-star recruit AJ Johnson decommits from Texas, turns pro in Australia

Mantra Dave, Managing Editor

Texas signee and five-star recruit AJ Johnson has decommitted from Texas and is headed to the Illawarra Hawks in Australia’s NBL, per ESPN/DraftExpress.

Johnson is the No. 18 recruit in the 2023 class, per the 247Sports Composite. A 6-6 guard from California, Johnson was one of two high-profile recruits in Texas’ 2023 freshman class. The other, Ron Holland, is a five-star prospect from Duncanville, Texas ranked No. 6 in the 2023 class, according to the 247Sports Composite. Holland remains committed to Texas.

Instead of playing college basketball, Johnson will be suiting up against professionals in Australia’s top league. The NBL has produced high NBA draft picks before, most notably Charlotte Hornets All-Star guard LaMelo Ball. Johnson is a projected first round pick in the 2024 NBA Draft.

Johnson’s decommitment comes on the heels of freshman forward Dillon Mitchell declaring for the NBA Draft while maintaining his college eligibility. With Johnson’s decision to turn professional, the Horns currently have just five roster spots locked up for next season: graduate forward Brock Cunningham, redshirt sophomore guard Gavin Perryman, redshirt sophomore forward Cole Bott, freshman forward Alex Anamekwe, and Holland.