Escape exams with these local food truck finds

Celeste Hoover, General Life&Arts Reporter

Final exams are an ideal time for students to take a step back, relax a little and enjoy some delicious eats. Tap into a new side of the Austin dining scene with unique, local food trucks begging to be explored in the next few weeks and beyond. 

Featuring authentic Mexican cuisine, fusion food and crazy chicken combos, The Daily Texan compiled a list for a food truck foodie’s next adventure.

Ensenada ATX

1108 E 12th St.

This family-owned truck serves fresh Mexican cuisine, including its famous Ensenada-style shrimp tacos, which are served with the traditional, tangy mix of mayo and sour cream. This truck makes for a worthwhile trip for those in search of authentic cooking.

Brooklyn Breakfast Shop

Thicket Food Park, 7800 S 1st St.

Brooklyn Breakfast Shop’s mouth-watering mix of Southern comfort food and fried goodness attracts customers from New York to Texas. The truck’s menu, full of Austin brunch staples like the Hatch Chile Sausage Bagel Kolache and Queso Smash Burger, can turn any meal into a fantastic breakfast.

Gourdough’s Big. Fat. Donuts.

1503 S 1st St, Austin

The name says it all. Not a food truck to hold back on size, toppings or bold flavors for their dessert confections, Gourdough’s is a utopia for those with a sweet-tooth. Try the savory Fat Elvis or bite-sized Strawberry Donut Holes for an on-the-go treat — but don’t forget to grab some napkins along with them.

Coolhaus Ice Cream

Location Varies

This truck full of creamy goodness feels perfect for the warm days ahead and well worth the hunt. Sample unique flavors with their ice cream flight and find a new favorite, or go for a scoop of their tried and true mint chocolate chip. 

Distant Relatives

3901 Promontory Point Dr.

Inspired by the textures, flavors and traditions of African American cuisine and culture, this trailer mixes local food with heritage found throughout the African diaspora for unique and unforgettable barbeque flavors. Known for their smoky pecan rub, Distant Relatives maintains a loyal following of locals and distant barbeque lovers alike. Get there early to grab a pulled pork sandwich before they sell out.

SXSE Food Co. 

415 E St Elmo Rd 1 d2

Ideal for only the slightly adventurous this summer, SXSE, also called sek-sē•füd•kō, offers a blend of southern American and southeast Asian flavors. The truck’s authentic Lao cuisine with a twist includes egg rolls, fried rice and cajun crawfish.