Former Virginia center Kadin Shedrick commits to Texas

Mantra Dave, Managing Editor

Former Virginia forward/center Kadin Shedrick is transferring to Texas, per his social media Sunday. Shedrick, a redshirt junior from Holly Springs, North Carolina, averaged 6.2 points and 3.8 rebounds while starting 15 of the Cavaliers’ 30 games last season. Shedrick has two years of eligibility remaining.  

At 6-11, Shedrick offers the Horns an imposing paint presence on both sides of the ball. Shedrick averaged 1.4 blocks per game at Virginia and gives Texas a vertical presence they lacked in 2022-23.

Shedrick, rated the 17th-ranked prospect in the transfer portal by 247 Sports, is Rodney Terry’s first pickup in the transfer portal this offseason. Sunday was a highly productive day for Texas: in addition to Shedrick’s commitment, Dylan Disu announced that he’d be returning for a fifth season. Between Shedrick, Disu, and five-star signee Ron Holland, Texas poses to have a versatile, physical front court rotation next season. 

Shedrick’s commitment is welcome news for Terry as he rebuilds this Texas roster. Graduate guards Marcus Carr and Sir’Jabari Rice and senior forwards Timmy Allen and Christian Bishop are gone from last season’s Horns after exhausting their college eligibility. Sophomore guard Tyrese Hunter and freshman forward Dillon Mitchell have both entered the NBA Draft while maintaining their collegiate eligibility, while freshman guards Arterio Morris and Rowan Brumbaugh have both entered the transfer portal.