Texas’ Hispanic population is higher than ever, UT enrollment has yet to reflect change

U.S. Census Bureau

In a significant demographic shift, Texas’ Hispanic population now outnumbers white Texans.

According to the latest data released by the U.S. Census Bureau on July 1, the shifting demographics highlight the growing influence of the Hispanic/Latinx community and solidify its position as the Lone Star State’s largest ethnic group.

The shift follows a slow increase in the Hispanic population over the decades. In July 2022, Hispanic Texans comprised 40.2% of the state’s population. The new data shows Latinos outnumber white Texans by about 129,000. 

“(The Hispanic population) is turning the state into a majority-minority state,” said Jacqueline Angel, Wilbur J. Cohen professor of health and social policy. “Our racial and ethnic structure … points to very important trends regarding our labor force participation and (how) we will see our future young people be able to get jobs and education they need for historically, a population that has confronted many disadvantages.”

UT was designated as a Hispanic Serving Institution in 2020, meaning at least 25% of the full-time undergraduate population must be Hispanic. In fall 2022, Hispanic students constituted 29.5% of first-year undergraduates the highest percentage of Hispanic first-year undergraduates to date. 

Still, only 24.8% of the overall student population was Hispanic in 2022, compared with 34.6% being white, reflecting an enrollment gap incongruent with current Texas population demographics.

“We have more Latino students now than we did 10 years ago,” said professor Mary Beltrán, associate director and former founding director of the Moody College of Communication’s Latino Media Arts & Studies Program. “It’s really only in the last few decades that Latino college attainment is beginning to get closer to that of white Americans. It’s still not equal in terms of Latinos finishing a bachelor’s degree or going on to graduate school, but I feel we’re making progress in Texas.”

Angel said the University is currently planning projects and initiatives to promote greater diversity in higher education.

“And really, I always say about UT that our students literally do change the world,” Angel said. “You know, what starts here is true, and our students really, at the LBJ School and all around the campus, make that happen.”