Students concerned about progress of Rambler apartment complex

Joyati Modak

Future Rambler residents have expressed concern about the building’s progress and the possibility that management may reschedule the move-in day to a later date. 

The West Campus apartment complex is scheduled to welcome residents for the 2023-2024 school year on Aug. 18, just days before the fall semester begins. 

A UT Reddit forum discussion erupted after a user posted that they spoke to five Rambler construction workers who said construction would not finish in time for move-in and instead be completed by October or November. 

“One of my roommates actually reached out about this,” said Madeline King, a biology sophomore and future Rambler resident. “The fact that it wasn’t done yet was making some people nervous. But I mean, construction-wise on the outside, I think she was saying that it was mostly done and that on the inside, they were just finishing up with appliances and putting in the decor and just doing all of that stuff. So people were nervous that it wouldn’t be done by Aug. 18, which I understand because it’s a lot to get done by then.”

King said Rambler assured its residents through email and social media that they remain on schedule to open. In an email, Kristen Hendrix, a member of Rambler’s public relations team, said, “We’re still on track to move in residents on August 18.” 

“I will say a few days ago, they posted on Instagram saying that all of the appliances are in place, and they have pictures of inside the building,” said Danielle Worthington, a government sophomore and future Rambler resident. “It looks pretty good from what I saw.”

King said Rambler had kept the move-in date the same since she signed her lease in Oct. 2022 and that the complex assured residents they would be accommodated with a hotel if things got behind schedule. King said her concerns about being placed in a hotel include commuting to school and storing her belongings and that she had heard of less-than-ideal accommodations set up by other complexes. 

Last year, the Noble 2500 apartment complex delayed its move-in date to five months after the scheduled opening. Students expressed frustration over the arrangements made to compensate them. 

One future Rambler resident who wished to remain anonymous said she believes some students are being overdramatic about the possible situation.

“I don’t think it’s going to be as delayed as some people think because I’m actually here in Austin right now,” the student said. “We still don’t really know if it’ll be ready on time because they don’t tell us anything. But I think if there were to be a delay, it wouldn’t be like on a scale of Noble 2500.”