‘Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem’ makes great summer watch for all ages

Courtesy of Paramount Pictures

“Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem” is a refreshingly entertaining summer entry into the beloved franchise that was first kickstarted in the ‘80s. Directed by Jeff Rowe (“The Mitchells vs. the Machines”) and Kyler Spears, the film follows the four turtle brothers Leonardo (Nicholas Cantu), Michelangelo (Shamon Brown Jr.), Donatello (Micah Abbey) and Raphael (Brady Noon) as they battle Superfly (Ice Cube) to save the world from being overtaken by evil mutants. 

The film’s first highlight is its dialogue. The actors who voice the main characters display incredible chemistry and comedic timing with each other, elevating an already well-written script. Punchy jokes permeate every moment of the film and help the audience feel like they’re listening in on a real group of lifelong friends. The playful teasing never feels mean-spirited and always displays the love the turtles hold for each other. The only downside is that certain scenes feel too long. One scene even showcases the brothers playfully commenting on how another brother says, “Bacon, egg and cheese.” While the scene does feel unnecessary, the pure delight from the moment certainly adds to the film’s overall effect. 

Clever humor also enhances the viewing experience. References to “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off,” “Hey Arnold!,” Ice-T, BTS and Fruit Ninja ensure that audiences of all ages will have something to laugh at. Performances by an outstanding supporting cast solidify this notion with contributions from Ayo Edebiri (“The Bear”), Maya Rudolph (“Bridesmaids”), Jackie Chan (“Rush Hour”), Seth Rogen (“Neighbors”) and several others. 

The film’s animation will immediately captivate and surprise audiences. When “Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse” was released earlier this summer, it seemed like all future animation would pale in comparison. While this film’s style doesn’t exactly match up, it still nicely fits the “Mutant Mayhem” tone. The colors make New York City feel dark and gritty but never dull, and the action sequences stand out with well-choreographed fighting and slow-motion shots. 

The only factor that might take audiences out of an otherwise very enjoyable movie is the occasional youth humor. For example, one character will say another has “rizz,” or something they do might be “sus” — word choices that feel forced in an otherwise seamless script. Similarly, two separate scenes depict a character throwing up, which may catch audiences off guard. 

“Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem” could easily have been another cash grab attempt for a long-running franchise, but it was instead one of this summer’s better-animated movies. Kids will get a kick out of this film, and older audiences will likewise leave the theater satisfied.

4 mystery green oozes out of 5