Around Austin: August

Connor Downs

Thousands of students will return to campus this month, and whether they’re coming home to the Forty Acres after a long summer apart from friends or discovering the bustling Austin community for the first time, The Daily Texan compiled a list of events around town for students to check out before classes pick up for the fall.

All Month: 49th Annual Paramount Summer Classic Film Series

For the last 50 years, the iconic Paramount Theater plays reruns of beloved classic movies throughout the month of August. Catch Matthew Broderick playing hooky in “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” or everyone’s favorite Longhorn, Matthew McConaughey, in “Dazed and Confused,” playing at different showings all month at the gorgeous Paramount in downtown Austin.  

Aug. 19: Taste of Taiwan Food Festival 

Get a taste of Taiwanese street food, desserts and delicacies at Austin’s Taste of Taiwan Food Festival. Hosted by the Austin Taichung Sister Cities Committee with the hopes of bringing Taiwanese food to more Texans, the festival will feature dishes from award-winning Taiwanese chefs Ko-chin Chang and Kai-yuan Lu. 

Aug. 19: Beat the Heat: Longhorn Welcome 

Head over to the Texas Union with a student ID for free bowling, movie screenings, karaoke and trivia games all day at the Longhorn Welcome “Beat the Heat” day. A campus tradition in the days before classes, Longhorn Welcome events provide students with great and entertaining opportunities to connect with other students on the Forty Acres. 

Aug. 26: Austin Bat Fest

Join hundreds of other Austinites in catching a glimpse of the city’s famous bats as they fly south for the winter. With local vendors offering all sorts of food, arts and crafts for all ages and products from small businesses, the evening promises more than just a visit from two million Mexican free-tailed bats. 

August 31: The Front Fest

Created by Future Front Texas, a community space that uplifts female and LGBTQ+ voices, The Front Fest promises four days of music, art and movies — all homegrown right here in Austin. Held at a variety of venues, including the iconic Cheer Up Charlie’s, festivalgoers can attend a film festival featuring local filmmakers, or listen to Austin song-writers at several lineups throughout the weekend. 

September 10: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Live in Concert) at the Long Center

One of the biggest movies of 2018, “Spiderman: Into the Spider-Verse” enchanted audiences with stunning visuals paired with a brilliant (and TikTok-viral) soundtrack. Now, fans will have the chance to experience the film with a live studio orchestra and DJs on stage at a special screening of “Into the Spider-Verse” at the Long Center. Though the showings start in September, tickets are on sale now.