Longhorns in the NFL

Peyton Sims/The Daily Texan

As college football begins, NFL preseason comes to an end. Take a look at these former Longhorns and their performances throughout their respective preseasons and careers. 

Bijan Robinson, RB Atlanta Falcons 

Selected as the eighth overall pick in the 2023 NFL Draft by the Atlanta Falcons, Bijan Robinson was the first Longhorn selected in the first round since Kenny Vaccaro was picked as 15th overall in 2013. After preseason, Robinson is currently third on the depth chart, but showed his electric abilities in his first career carry. While he only ran for 20 yards in his preseason debut against the Steelers, his first 12-yard carry showcased his ability to use his speed and agility to evade defenders. A fan favorite at Texas, he has already become popular with Falcons fans and is projected to be a top fantasy draft pick. 

Cameron Dicker, K Los Angeles Chargers

Just ahead of the 2023 53-man roster deadlines, it was announced that the Chargers were trading Dustin Hopkins, meaning Cameron Dicker won the starting job. Dicker joined the Chargers last year as a practice squad player and quickly made his impact by making a 36-yard field goal to beat the Falcons right after his signing. Over his career, he has gone 21–22 in kicks made, with his longest kick being 48 yards. Dicker’s accuracy has always been known, with his longest made field goal being from 57 yards. 

Sam Ehlinger, QB Indianapolis Colts

During the NFL preseason, Sam Ehlinger’s longest throw was highlighted by his ability to escape defenders in the pocket before launching a 34-yard pass that was then extended by a pass interference call after the play. Ehlinger currently sits at third on the depth chart after throwing for 86 yards and one interception during the Colts’ 27-13 win over the Eagles. He was drafted in 2021 but did not appear in any games until the 2022 season. He has thrown for three touchdowns so far in his young career. 

Roschon Johnson, RB Chicago Bears

Roschon Johnson ran for 98 yards on 28 carries over his first NFL preseason. Johnson was selected 115th overall by the Chicago Bears and is currently third on the depth chart behind fellow former Longhorn running back D’Onta Foreman. Johnson, Foreman and the rest of the Bears faced Ehlinger and the Colts in week two of preseason, with Ehlinger and the Colts coming out on top 24-17. He had seven carries for 32 yards and an 11-yard gain on a reception in his performance against the Colts, showing that the fourth-round draft pick has potential that shouldn’t be overlooked.