No. 7 Texas volleyball sweeps Florida Gulf Coast at home

Texas+Volleyball+team+celebrates+in-between+sets+on+Sept.+3%2C+2023.+
Mackenzie Coleman
Texas Volleyball team celebrates in-between sets on Sept. 3, 2023.

Facing each other for the first time, No. 7 Texas volleyball swept Florida Gulf Coast University in the team’s first win at Gregory Gymnasium this season. 

Coming into the game with a 4-2 record and a 3-2 win against Ole Miss in the FGCU Homewood Suites Invitational, FGCU looked to add another upset to their season record.

Texas did not let FGCU get even close to winning. 

Senior middle blocker and Big 12 Co-Defensive Player of the Week Asjia O’Neal scored the first point for Texas, getting her first of five total kills against FGCU. 

After getting an early lead in the first set, Texas forced FGCU to play catch-up. The Eagles were almost successful in closing the gap; a four-point streak left the Eagles trailing a point behind the Longhorns, 13-12. 

However, the momentum began to swing back in the Longhorns’ favor. Texas increased their point differential by seven points, leaving FGCU fighting against Texas taking the set point. Although Texas had a little bit of trouble getting the final point, a kill by junior Madisen Skinner ended the set 25-19. 

Two transfer juniors originally from Texas, Skinner and Jenna Wenaas, led the Longhorns in kills against the Eagles, with eight and twelve kills respectively. 

The second set was similar to the first. The score was tied at 10-10 before Texas took control of the lead to win the set, 25-18. 

However, in this second set, FGCU had a hitting percentage of 0%, averaging at 0.023% for the whole game. Texas achieved a season-high hitting percentage of 0.382%.

Moving into the third set, Texas gave some of its players who haven’t gotten much playing time an opportunity to shine. Redshirt freshman Marina Crownover got two assists, and junior Reilly Heinrich served an ace. 

While the Eagles had their debut against the Longhorns, redshirt freshman Kenna Miller also made her Longhorn debut and got her first career kill in the final set. With a curved spike to the left side of the court, Miller gave Texas a chance to win the set and the match with a 12 point difference.

The Longhorns took advantage of their chance. With a block by senior opposite hitter Molly Phillips, the Longhorns brought their season record up to 3-2.