No. 6 Texas volleyball battles No. 19 Ohio State, winning 3-1

Longhorns+volleyball+against+Washington+State+on+Sep.+15%2C+2023.+
Miya Tanner
Longhorns volleyball against Washington State on Sep. 15, 2023.

The rain didn’t stop Texas fans from showing up at Gregory Gymnasium to watch No. 6 Texas volleyball play No. 19 Ohio State. The weather didn’t distract the Longhorns from their mission, winning the game 3-1. 

Texas got off to a rocky start. After several tied points, the Longhorns seemed to pull ahead, getting a five-point lead and a set point. Texas fans stood up on their feet, expecting their team to score within the next few points. 

But the Longhorns couldn’t finish the set. The Buckeyes came back to tie the game 24-24, leading Texas to call a timeout. 

When the match resumed, Texas seemed determined. With a spike by junior outside hitter Madisen Skinner and a save that led to an Ohio State player seemingly hitting the ball out, the Longhorns thought they won the set. However, the play was challenged and the point was given to Ohio State, momentum swinging back to Ohio State. 

Ohio State won the first set 27-25, ending with an attack error by true freshman Ella Swindle

After the first set, Coach Jerritt Elliott refocused the team. 

“(I told them) you got to be more patient,” Elliot said. “Along the rallies is where we thought we were just kind of stressing out, trying to put the next ball away instead of just being willing to play.”

The Longhorns had six service errors and six attacking errors in the first set, giving up crucial points. 

Texas players turned the game around in the second set. In the first point won by Texas, Swindle redeemed her error from the first set. 

Sophomore Devin Kahahawai also got her moment to shine in the second set. Meeting her career-high record at six kills and 7.5 points, Kahahawai is hitting her stride. 

Skinner also had a big game. With twenty-four hits in the game overall, Skinner played a huge role in the three consecutive sets Texas won. 

“It was honestly really exciting,” Kahahawai said about her performance. “Talking to Molly (Phillips) off the court was super helpful. … We’re always helping each other and constantly giving each other feedback and I wouldn’t be able to do it without them.”