Texas Men’s Golf: Meet the 2023-2024 Team

Joshua Guenther
Travis Vick swings at the ball during a 2019 game.

After ending its season finishing fourth in the Big 12 championship, head coach John Fields and his team aim to return to glory and win its second title in three years.

Returning a mix of key role players and bringing in fresh pieces, The Texas men’s golf team enters the season ranked 11th in the Golf Coaches of Association of America Coaches’ Poll. With a roster of 11 golfers, the Longhorns look to achieve more than ever.

Here are the athletes on the 2023-2024 Texas men’s golf roster:

Christiaan Maas 

A sophomore from South Africa, Christiaan Maas, is looking to elevate the Longhorns in his second year with the team. Ranked the No. 17 amateur in the world by the World Amateur Golf Rankings, Maas has boasted impressive tournament finishes in 2023 with runner-up performances at both The Western Championship and the Southern Highlands Collegiate. After establishing himself in the lineup last season, Maas will play a major role in his second year to bring the national championship back to Austin.

Tommy Morrison 

This sophomore from Dallas, Texas, Tommy Morrison, will play a key role in his second season with Texas. He placed fifth at the US Junior Amatuer Championship, his best professional finish this year. He also has four other top ten finishes in USGA events in 2023 and is ranked 105th in the World Amateur Golf Ranking. 

Jacob Sosa 

Sophomore from Austin Jacob Sosa played golf at Westlake High School before bringing his talent to the Forty Acres. As a freshman, Sosa had significant tournament finishes, placing seventh at the Sahalee Player Championship and third at the Southwestern Invitational. He looks to take on a pivotal role in helping the golf team succeed throughout the season.

Brian Stark 

Ranked the 31st amateur on the WAGR, the graduate student from Kingsburg, California looks to make his mark on the Texas golf team in his final year with the team. He started his collegiate career at Oklahoma Stake before transferring, where he was third-team All American as a junior. Stark recently placed fourth at the Northeast Amateur Invitational and third in the individual pool at the Big 12 Championship Tournament last season. Using his Big 12 experience, Stark will play a critical role for the team.

Keatan Vo 

A sophomore from Austin, Texas, Vo looks to play a major role for the men’s golf team and help bring the championship back to UT in his second year with the team. Ranked at No. 182 by WAGR, Vo has had five top-ten finishes in his individual amateur career, highlighted by a second place finish last season at the Southwestern Invitational.

Randall Fojtasek

A senior from Dallas, Texas, Randall Fojtasek is in his fourth season with the Longhorn golf team. Back in 2019, he had impressive third-place finishes at both the Southern Championship and the Veritex Bank Byron Nelson Junior Championship. Last year, Fojtasek finished 57th at the Herb Wimberly Intercollegiate. Now, Fojtasek looks to help the Men’s golf team return to glory and win their second national championship in three years.

Jack Gilbert 

Entering his first year with the team, the freshman from Houston, Texas looks to make his way into the lineup and make an immediate impact with the team. After recent runner up finishes at the Polo Golf Junior Classic in June and the Sergio and Angela Garcia Foundation Junior Championship in March, Gilbert aims high to make his mark on Longhorn golf for the upcoming season.

Ben DeLaRosa 

DeLaRosa, from Dallas, Texas, is entering his first year in collegiate golf joining the Longhorns in trying to win another national championship. The freshman has two top-ten finishes in his career, best placing seventh at the Sam Burns Classic at The Landings Club. 

Alejandro Gonzalez 

Gonzalez, a junior from Queretaro, Mexico, returns to Texas golf for his third consecutive season. He recently placed 23rd at the Northern Amateur and aims to improve from his +2 handicap during the season. 

Nathan Petronzio

The senior from Bee Cave, Texas, Petronzio enters his first season with the Longhorns after transferring from SMU. Ranked No. 91st on WAGC and with his highest career rank being No.80, he has three amateur tournament wins at the Wake Forest Invitational, Trinity Forest Invitational, and the 2022 American Men’s Golf Championship. 

Jeffrey Zatorski 

Zatorski, a junior from Houston, Texas, has won three USGA amateur tournaments at the Palo Verde Amateur, GCAA Summer Series in California, and at the Texas Collegiate Amateur Tour Houston Showdown. Last season, he played in three events highlighted by a 7th place performance at The Spring Indy at Winstar and looks to make a bigger impact in his third season.