Bevo Buddies places unique twist on transition initiative

Rong Hua Wang

Chatter rings from the San Jacinto event room as a sea of new students enjoy food, create friendships and most anticipatedly, meet with their year-long mentors. 

Founded in 2022, the Bevo Buddy program pairs new students, or Bevo Buddies, with experienced students known as Bevo Buddy Leaders. Available to all new students, the program aims to foster quick connections in a casual environment during students’ first year at UT.

Kayleigh Damphousse, assistant director for transition initiatives, said New Student Services initially didn’t house any programs similar to Bevo Buddy.

“We want to make sure that after (new students) go through orientation and start the year, they still feel supported,” Damphousse said. “There’s a lot of programs (at UT) that are similar, like ‘FIGs’ and ‘TrIGs,’ but this is a little bit more casual. It’s more about friendship making, and it’s open to any new student who feels like they want someone right from the get-go.”

Malachi Burke, a music education sophomore and Bevo Buddy Leader, said he appreciates the program for what it offers to new students.

“It gives people an opportunity to ask for what they need,” Burke said. “This program isn’t something you’re forced into, it’s something you request to be a part of. … It truly is important because it gives you an opportunity to find the resources you need.”

Damphousse, who developed and facilitates Bevo Buddy, said she helped design the program after a parent approached the Division of Student Affairs with the idea.

Currently, Damphousse said the program contains about 91 Bevo Buddy Leaders and 450 Bevo Buddies. In addition to receiving frequent check-ins from their mentors, Bevo Buddies can attend a range of events, such as a field trip to the State Capitol, a UT vs. Alabama watch party or a study hall.    

Business sophomore Vanee Loredo, a former Bevo Buddy, said the program provided comfort during her freshman year.

“As a freshman … it’s an eye-opening experience because you’re new to a college that is very diverse,” Loredo said. “Having a person as a Bevo Buddy (Leader) to talk to about things and share experiences (with) is very comforting.”

Damphousse said each Bevo Buddy gets paired with a leader who typically shares similar characteristics and experiences with their mentees, such as first-gen status, out-of-state status or their major. 

This semester, Burke said he mentors eight students. Despite earning income for the position, Burke said after seeing how Bevo Buddy Leaders operate, it’s clear that money does not serve as motivation.

“It can take 10 minutes to make a difference in someone’s day,” Burke said. “On paper, (my role) can seem daunting, but in practice, it comes down to taking a little bit of time out of your day to be there for someone.”