Five horror movies set in academic institutions for Friday the 13th

Carly A Ramos

As Friday the 13th approaches, many can’t help but reach for their remotes to put on a good horror movie. To help celebrate the occasion, The Daily Texan compiled a list of five horror movies set at academic institutions guaranteed to leave viewers aghast. 

Suspiria by Dario Argento 

In Argento’s 1977 horror flick “Suspiria,” Suzy (Jessica Harper), an American ballet student, joins a prestigious German dance school in Berlin. Her time there consists of dedicated performances, maggot-riddled ceilings and supernatural occurrences. As Suzy maneuvers through a school lurking with deceit and misfortune, her seemingly mundane life transforms into an unimaginable one. Poetic and ghastly, this film serves as a classic supernatural ordeal. 

Girls Nite Out by Robert Deubel

“Girls Nite Out” follows a group of college girls who embark on an overnight scavenger hunt hosted by their rural Ohio university. To the girls’ surprise, the scavenger hunt takes an eerie turn as a mystery murderer in a bear mascot costume begins to hunt them. With its awkward performances and shabby set design, “Girls Nite Out” delivers the undeniable charm of an ‘80s slasher film.

Final Exam by Jimmy Huston

Another ‘80s slasher film, but with an academic flair, Huston’s “Final Exam” takes place during March College finals week. A rampant killer lurks as pencils scratch and flashcards swish. Courtney (Cecil Bagdadi) bears the challenge of saving her grades and her school from this masked killer. Filled with intense drama and jumpscares, “Final Exam” takes the doom of finals week up a notch. 

Urban Legend by Jamie Blanks 

Blanks’ 1998 horror film “Urban Legend” tells the story of a New England university experiencing murders mirroring urban legends: tales told as true and about someone the storyteller knows personally. Once Natalie (Alicia Witt) picks up on this “Urban Legend” pattern, her fate and the fate of her fellow students lies in her hands. Adding a gruesome twist to the urban legend trope, this film assures an entertaining and dreadful viewing experience. 

Happy Death Day by Christopher Landon

“Happy Death Day” serves as a grimmer version of the Groundhog Day story, with Tree (Jessica Rothe), a college student, reliving her fatal birthday every day until she discovers the identity of her killer. Details of her birthday, such as receiving a cupcake from her sorority sister and waking up in the dorm of her classmate, emphasize the feel of college and the impending catastrophe Tree awaits every morning.