Ways to experience Austin City Limits without breaking the bank

William Whitworth
Austin City Limit attendees pose in front of the iconic flag poles that are erected each year in Zilker Park on October 6, 2023.

As Austin City Limits weekend two gears up, a second wave of music enthusiasts, Austinites and UT students flood Zilker Park. With three consecutive days of live music, ACL stands as a testament to the qualities that draw UT students to Austin. However, as ticket prices across the country continue to skyrocket, ACL can be inaccessible to many students. The Daily Texan compiled a list of ways to experience ACL this year without breaking the bank. 

ACL Live Tours

Take an inside look at the Moody Theatre, the home to tapings for the iconic PBS program. For just $12 per ticket, explore the behind-the-scenes of the longest running music television series, see Scott Newton’s famed music photography and enjoy exclusive access to the ACL merch store. Additionally, attendees can explore ACL Live’s latest venue, 3Ten. The venue boasts a much more intimate stage largely reminiscent of the original on-campus venue, ACL Studio 6A. 

ACL TV & Radio 

After experiencing the inner workings of ACL Live, tune into PBS and catch episodes from the 49th season of  “Austin City Limits.” On the go, tune into the ACL radio station on 97.1 FM, and listen to behind the scene coverage, exclusive interviews and ACL performances.

Celebrate ACL at Hotel Van Zandt 

Located in the heart of Rainey street, Hotel Van Zandt offers the perfect spot to be immersed in live music and Austin culture. Their signature restaurant, Gerdaldies, offers performances all weekend by local musicians, as well as vinyl and jazz brunches. Additionally, the hotel will host a free “get-ready-with-me” pop-up on Saturday from 12-4 p.m. in the lobby. The pop-up, open to the public, will host a myriad of booths, ranging from vintage t-shirts to a glitter bar, topped off with DJ Casandra to keep the high energy going all day.

ACL Fest Nights 

Stubb’s Bar-B-Q combines two sacred Texas traditions — live music and food — to create an experience that can only be found in Austin. Throughout the weekend, Stubb’s will hold a series of concerts as a part of the official ACL Fest Nights headlined by musicians performing at ACL. Tickets start at $25 and make for the perfect way to engage with ACL and Austin’s live music while also supporting a staple Austin business.