‘Bevo Hat Guy’ brings unique energy to student section when supporting UT athletics

Lorianne Willett
Biochemistry sophomore Jack Maddox, also known as “Bevo Hat Guy,” cheers alongside other fans during the Red River Rivalry game on Oct. 7, 2023.

Clad in a Hook ‘Em-themed apron, oversized Longhorn chain, burnt orange suit tie, cowboy boots and cowboy hat, complete with a stuffed Bevo plush duct taped to the top, Jack Maddox gets ready for game day.

Publicly proclaimed as the “Bevo Hat Guy,” Maddox, a biochemistry sophomore and Longhorn superfan, takes his commitment to supporting Texas athletics to new heights. Maddox said he arrives at games an average of four to six hours before the gates open, often snagging the front row seats in the student section.

Maddox, whose dad attended UT, said he grew up a Longhorn fan and a sports fanatic. However, he said his high school offered no sports, which bred an even greater interest in attending college games.

“I went to a high school that had no sports, … so all of (my) free time was (spent doing) the core college classes,” Maddox said. “I liked sports, so that made me sad. When I came here, I’m like, ‘I’ve always been a Longhorn fan. I want to go crazy (for) sports. … What if I just wear crazy outfits at the games?’”

Enamoring over 1,100 followers on his Instagram account, Maddox garners the attention and support of many students, some of whom now join him at games. Kezian Dunn, an applied movement science sophomore, said the rag-tag group expanded from an initial four to five members to upwards of 50. 

Dunn said he met Maddox last year while camping out for the Alabama game. Dunn said he arrived 24 hours before the gates opened and decided to talk to Maddox after overhearing that his group arrived even a day earlier. The pair now regularly attend games together.

“I remember during the (basketball) game against Kansas (last year), one of our players hit a three and the student section behind me was so loud that I could physically feel it push me forward,” Dunn said. “I’ve never experienced anything like that.”

Dunn said he urges students who want to attend games alongside a spirited group to talk to Maddox and other students in the front row of the student section.

“If you’re a student who’s passionate about Texas sports and you’re going to games and you’re going to be rowdy, please go up to Jack or any of us in the front row,” Dunn said. “There’s no barrier to entry here. We always want our group to be bigger and bigger and bigger.”

John Reynoldson, a statistics and data science sophomore and rookie advisor for the Hellraisers, emphasized the value in creating an inclusive student section environment.

“It’s super important for people that are trying out (the student section) to really (feel included),” Reynoldson said. “When they feel included, they’ll start to get loud (and) they’ll start to do these chants.”

Maddox said serving as Bevo Hat Guy grants him cool opportunities, such as earning free merchandise from the Co-op, receiving a DM of recognition from Jerritt Elliott — the women’s head volleyball coach — and even meeting some of his closest friends.

“All these shared moments really brought us together,” Maddox said. “Those guys and girls are my closest friends here now. … We go to these games and have a blast together.”