Four UT Faculty/Alumni featured in Austin Film Festival

Elizabeth Aguilar-Garcia

Every year, the Austin Film Festival boasts a collection of screenings, speakers and round table events that come together in a classic celebration of storytelling. As the festival amps up for its 30th year, it will feature a multitude of talented artists ranging from burgeoning screenwriters to well-established filmmakers. The Daily Texan compiled a list of films from UT faculty and alumni to check out during the festival. 

I’ll Be There

“I’ll Be There,” written and produced by Radio-Television-Film Interim Chair Cindy McCreery and directed by Radio-Television-Film professor Andrew Shea, will have a world premiere on opening night of the festival. The film follows Grace who, after learning that her brother has been diagnosed with cancer, is forcibly reunited with her estranged family. Largely inspired by McCreery’s own experience of becoming her brother’s caretaker, the film explores the complexities of coming from a blended family and making peace with one’s past. McCreery and Shea filmed exclusively in Austin, allowing them to work in collaboration with many UT student actors and creators. 

Home Free

“Home Free” follows a group of college sophomores who allow a homeless professor to crash on their porch one night during a thunderstorm. Written and directed by UT alumni Lenny Barszap and Aaron Brown, the film drew inspiration from their time as students at UT when they housed a homeless philosophy professor. While first and foremost a comedy, “Home Free” also explores themes such as social impact, community and growth, shining a light on the deep-rooted issues surrounding homelessness. Barszap and Brown call into question the stigma behind homelessness and are partnering with organizations such as The Other Ones Foundation, with plans to donate at least 10% of their earnings to these non-profits. 

Titty Boy

Comedy short film “Titty Boy” revolves around a teenage boy with gynecomastia, otherwise known as “man boobs,” who upon learning his family can’t afford the surgery to remove his condition, takes matters into his own hands. Written by UT alumnus Austin Culp, the film draws inspiration from Culp’s own experience with this condition. Culp hopes to tell the story of those who deal with gynecomastia and any body insecurities, particularly exposing this issue in teenage boys. 

Black Magic

The Austin Film Festival will serve as the short-film “Black Magic’s” hometown premiere. Written by Radio-Television-Film lecturer Cristin Stephens, a current MFA student, “Black Magic” follows the experience of a diversity hire in a writer’s room as she navigates meeting the expectations of her boss at the expense of her identity. Stephens used the film as an opportunity to challenge the notion of the Black supporting character not having their own story line.