How past offseason transfers have performed after entering transfer portal

Jack Myer

Hudson Card, Quarterback, Purdue

Four-star prospect Hudson Card played three seasons and appeared in 22 games with the Longhorns. Card saw limited playing time as he was named backup for quarterback Casey Thompson during the 2021 season and played three games in place of injured Quinn Ewers in 2022. After three seasons with the program, Card completed 65.5% of his passes for a total of 1,523 yards, 11 touchdowns and two interceptions. Card is now the starting quarterback for the Purdue Boilermakers.

“When you move places, it’s always going to be new,” Card said. “But the people of West Lafayette have really welcomed me with open arms and it’s been a great experience so far.”

This season, Card has thrown for 1,617 yards, seven touchdowns and five interceptions. He has completed 60.6% of his passes as starting quarterback for the Boilermakers. Purdue recently played No. 3 Ohio State, where Card went 13-for-32 passing for 126 yards and one touchdown to end with a 41-7 loss against the Buckeyes.  

Prince Dorbah, Linebacker, Arizona State 

Defensive linebacker Prince Dorbah appeared in five games in the 2022 season and entered the transfer portal after three seasons with Texas. Dorbah left Texas totaling 11 combined tackles, one tackle for loss and eight stops. Dorbah saw a career high of 68 defensive snaps over five games, but following week six he did not get a single snap.

Dorbah was the first offseason transfer to announce his commitment to the Arizona State Sun Devils. Arizona State has had a need for depth at edge rushers and former four-star recruit Prince Dorbah has answered. 

“I come from a family where I’m the only person who’s gotten this opportunity to play college football,” Dorbah said. “So, I’ve told myself every day since I came here to take advantage of my opportunities, and I’m blessed to have great teammates and coaches to put me into these opportunities to make these plays. I’m just blessed to be able to be here.”

Dorbah is having a successful career with the Sun Devils where he has amassed 26 tackles and six sacks over the course of seven games. 

Troy Omeire, Wide receiver, Arizona State

Wide receiver Troy Omeire was a sought out prospect coming out of high school, but he never got the chance to shine after suffering a torn ACL during fall camp in 2020 and a year later endured a season-ending knee injury. Due to being an injury-prone athlete, Omeire only played four games with the Longhorns over three seasons. The redshirt sophomore found his home with the Arizona State Sun Devils with new head coach Kenny Dillingham. 

This season, Omeire has played three games with the Sun Devils and has recorded 51 yards, three receptions and one receiving touchdown. Omeire has three years of eligibility remaining and has a hopeful career ahead of him as he is healthy now. 

Andrej Karic, Offensive Lineman, Tennessee

Karic became the first portal addition for the Tennessee Vols this past offseason. The offensive lineman played in 26 games with five starts and earned academic All-Big 12 First Team honors in 2021 with the Texas Longhorns. Karic played three seasons with the Longhorns and took 550 offensive snaps. 

“Really, really impressed with Andrej,” said teammate Cooper Mays. “I’ve been impressed with him from the jump. I think he plays football the right way. Plays hard and plays violent, and I can always work with a guy like that. I truly enjoy watching people that know how to play football violently.” 

Although Karic has not been guaranteed the starting job, he has two years of eligibility left and has the ability to make an impact on the offensive front. He started the first month of the season and became active again this past week before the Vols game against the Alabama Crimson Tide.