Women’s swim and dive set for rematch against reigning national champion Virginia

Assad Malik
Swimmers compete in the Big 12 Swimming and Diving Championship at the Lee and Joe Jamail Texas Swimming Center on Feb. 25, 2022. The University of Texas was named Big 12 Champions for men’s and women’s events.

Texas women’s swimming and diving’s season is underway and thus far they have dominated. Beginning their year with a 2-0 start, the Longhorns are maintaining their journey towards their ultimate goal of a national championship. So far, only one team has proven themselves an obstacle to Texas’ goals: the University of Virginia. The Longhorns now ready themselves for their matchup this Friday against the reigning champion Cavaliers.

So far, Texas has bested in-state rivals Houston and TCU and have a total 385 points this season. Houston and TCU have only a combined 202 points against the Longhorns this year. Against Houston, Texas won 14 of 16 events. Since 2020, Texas has only lost one regular season match and currently have a streak of 14 straight regular season wins.

The Cavaliers have excelled in women’s swimming and diving the past three seasons. They have won three straight NCAA championships and set numerous records including 13 in the ACC last season. In the past two national championship matchups, the Cavaliers have overcome the Longhorns by more than 100 points.

Texas now seeks to overcome its current rival and maintain its ongoing winning streak. Last season, Texas and Virginia faced off in the regular season and the Longhorns were able to come out on top in both matches of the meet, with Texas beating the Cavaliers by a mere four points in the second match.

Standouts of the season so far include the 200-yard medley relay team of freshman Emma Kern, senior Anna Elendt, senior Emma Sticklen and senior Grace Cooper. Their time of 1:37.29 is tied for the third fastest time in the NCAA this season. Elendt later recorded a solo win in the 100 meter breaststroke with a time of 59.49 which is also tied for the third fastest time in the NCAA this season.

A win over Virginia would not only mean a potential boost to the number one overall ranking, but would also be a personal victory for the team. This rematch is a highly anticipated grudge match between two of women’s swiming’s best teams, and may be an early glimpse of the first and second place position in this year’s national championship. The meet will take place this Friday with diving starting at 1 p.m. and swimming at 3 p.m. and Saturday with diving starting at 8 a.m. and swimming at 10 a.m. at Virginia.