Five-star wide receiver Ryan Wingo commits to Texas, becomes third pledge in 2024 class

Courtesy of PowerMizzou.com

Ryan Wingo, class of 2024 5-star, announced his commitment to play for the Longhorns Wednesday. The wide receiver is ranked No. 27 prospect overall. Wingo is now the third 5-star pledge to be recruited by Steve Sarkisan for his 2024 class.

“I kind of had a decision in my head and I have for a while … it was down to Missouri and Texas for sure,” Wingo said during his live commitment. “It was a hard decision to take over Missouri. … But, you know, I had to do what’s best for me.”

Wingo, a Missouri native, chose Texas over schools like Georgia, Miami, Missouri and Texas A&M. Mizzou’s recent development throughout their past season had Wingo rethinking his choices. Now second in the SEC East, only losing one game this season, Mizzou has seen immense improvement for a football team that has not gone 5–0 to begin a season since 2013. 

“Mostly, I want a coach that’s going to be able to develop me for the next level, to get to the NFL,” he said to ESPN in June about his priorities. “I want a town where I can still have fun if I was to get hurt or anything like that. I don’t want to be miserable or that type of thing. Those would really be the two big things.”

Wingo is listed at 6-foot-2 and 200 pounds as a receiver. Wingo is also a dual athlete, competing in track and field during football’s offseason. He has recorded a 10.55 for the 100-meter dash and 21.31 in the 200-meter dash. 

“He can do anything on a football field, ” Wingo’s high school coach Adam Cruz said to The Athletic.  “We were playing his sophomore year and he threw a 75-yard touchdown on a fake punt and then the next punt, he punted it and it got downed at the 1-yard line and then the next punt, he ran 43 yards for the first down. And I just remember saying to somebody, ‘I don’t know what they’re supposed to do here. I feel bad for the other team. I don’t know what they’re supposed to do.’” 

Wingo also adds versatility to the team. As one of the highest-rated wide receivers in this recruiting class, Wingo allows Texas receiver coach Chris Jackson to bring a new source of athleticism and speed. The standout athlete has the natural abilities to direct routes and enhance the depth for wide receivers. 

The Longhorns have 19 total commits in their 2024 recruiting class and Wingo is the third 5-star they have landed, including offensive tackle Brandon Baker and linebacker Colin Simmons. The Texas wide receiver room is set to see some upcoming changes with receivers junior Xavier Worthy, senior Jordan Whittington and junior Adonai Mitchell potentially declaring for the 2024 NFL draft. He would join Class of 2022 4-Star recruit Johntay Cook II for potential starting positions.