Opponents to Watch: Kansas State

Courtesy of Madison Riebel/Collegian Media Group

Kansas State has stormed through the Big 12 and is one of the hottest teams in the conference, seeing as it is one of the five teams tied for first place. Ranked at No. 23 in this week’s AP Poll, the 6–2 Wildcats are looking to come into Austin and upset the Longhorns. One of the conference’s strongest teams, these players could have an impact and shake up the Big 12 standings.  

Will Howard

In his fourth year at Kansas State, the veteran quarterback has already thrown for almost as many yards in just eight games as he did all of last season. Howard has thrown for 1,628 yards, 14 touchdowns and seven interceptions this season, and Kansas State has one of the most productive offenses in the country, averaging 39 points per game. Howard’s best game came in Kansas State’s 41-0 win over Houston. He threw for a near-perfect 15-of-17 passes for 164 yards and two touchdowns. Howard’s success has brought Kansas State back into the AP Top 25, and he has also relied heavily on his running back. 

DJ Giddens

Stepping into the starting role this year, the sophomore running back had some big shoes to fill. After star running back Deuce Vaughn was drafted by the Cowboys, Giddens slid right into the starting spot. He did not miss a beat and ran for 128 yards on 15 carries in the team’s 45-0 season-opening win over Southeastern Missouri. His best game was against Central Florida, one of the new additions to the Big 12. He was a key player in the 44-31 win, leading the team in rushing and receiving yards, rushing for 207 yards on 30 carries and catching eight passes for 86 yards. He accounted for more than half of the team’s points with four rushing touchdowns and has the ability to be a standout college running back just like his predecessor Vaughn.

Phillip Brooks 

The Kansas State offense is full of veteran players, and Brooks, who is in his fourth year, adds depth to the Wildcat’s wide receiver room. Brooks leads the Wildcats’ receiving front with 39 catches for 437 yards and three touchdowns. In Kansas State’s shutout over Houston, he had five catches for 83 yards and one touchdown. For a team that puts its weight on its running back, Brooks offers Howard a dangerous target in the air. 

Kobe Savage 

As well as being experienced on the offensive front, Kansas State’s defensive front is no different. Led by senior defensive back Kobe Savage, the Wildcats defense has held two opponents scoreless. Savage leads the team in tackles, having accounted for 43 total stops with 29 being solo tackles. He also leads the team in interceptions with two as he picked off Texas Tech quarterback Tyler Shough twice in Kansas State’s 38-21 win. Savage and the rest of the Wildcat defense are looking to cause disruptions to the rhythm of the Texas offense, especially with backup quarterback Maalik Murphy under center.