Native American Heritage Month in Austin

Emma Berke

In 1990, Congress officially designated the month of November as National Native American Heritage Month. Marked to formally acknowledge the important contributions of Native people and their tribal land, this month also honors their diverse cultures and traditions. The Daily Texan compiled a list of events happening locally that celebrate the history of Native Americans.

The Austin Powwow

From traditional dance competitions to a Native market, the Austin Powwow offers many vibrant activities to celebrate Native culture. Hosted by the Great Promise for American Indians at the Travis County Expo Center on Nov. 18, this lively all-day festival features a food court showcasing a variety of Native cuisine, promising a unique Austin experience.

Mario Garza’s Speech

Offered by the Austin Public Library, the Aztec Dance Company and Mario Garza, Ph.D, an elder of the Miakan/Garzas Band of the Coahuiltecan, will be speaking on Sunday from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Spend your Sunday hearing eye-opening facts about Native and ancient innovations. There will also be snacks and refreshments provided during this afternoon of learning!

Amy Bluemel: Native American Storyteller

A registered member of the Chickasaw Nation, Bluemel will be adorned in a traditional Native American dancing outfit on Nov. 16 at the Austin Public Library. She will showcase a variety of tomahawks, beadwork, rattles, dance shakers, literature and much more. Beyond the Native artifacts, Bluemel will also engage the audience by sharing her language, history, culture and captivating stories.

Movie Night: Smoke Signals

Stop by Milwood Branch Library on Nov. 15 for a relaxing movie night to watch a screening of Smoke Signals, the first feature film directed and produced by Native Americans. This coming-of-age comedy-drama won the Filmmaker’s Trophy and Audience Award at the 1998 Sundance Film Festival and will ensure an entertaining plot for all viewers. 

Tabletop Gaming Night

Spooky season doesn’t have to end just because October’s gone. Join Native artist Mercedes “Cibby” Acosta for two tabletop role-playing horror games: “what happened?” and “Los Arboles.” This game night will take place at the Austin Public Library on Nov. 28 from 6:00 to 7:30 p.m.

UT Conference 

From Thursday to Saturday, UT’s Department of Native American and Indigenous Studies will host a conference on Indigenous Languages of Latin America (CILLA). Held at the Glickman Conference Center, the event honors Nora England, the founder of CILLA. Open to all UT students, keynote speakers in attendance will provide accommodations for Spanish, English and Portuguese languages.