City of Austin launches new text alert system for unhoused residents

Maya Kiselstein

The city of Austin established a text alert system on Oct. 25 to warn unhoused residents of emergencies or extreme weather conditions, according to a press release.

The new communication system allows people experiencing homelessness to receive updates and urgent information directly to their cell phones. The press release said the Austin Public Health Homeless Strategy Division officially launched the new communication system by sending texts to over 3,500 unhoused individuals in light of the incoming heavy rainfall and a 40-degree temperature drop on Oct. 25.

“During a significant event that limits the City of Austin’s capacity to provide in-person welfare checks to a multitude of unhoused residents, two-way communication capabilities can be activated to support remote engagement, improved situational awareness and prioritized response,” said Charles Loosen, Homeless Strategy Division community engagement consultant, in the press release.

The press release said the division plans to expand the technology to send messages to unhoused individuals about services like cold weather shelters and Austin-Travis County Emergency Services’ monthly pop-up resource clinics. It also said the division plans to put out flyers with QR codes for other unhoused residents to subscribe to the alert system.

“The importance of emergency text alerts for individuals experiencing homelessness cannot be overstated,” said David Gray, interim homeless strategy officer, in the release. “Tailoring these messages to people experiencing homelessness exemplifies the power of technology and community spirit to provide a lifeline and hope when it is needed most.”