Associate Editor writes her last opinion

Schuyler Burke

The school newspaper has been my home since my sophomore year of high school. I stumbled into journalism and it changed my life. I found my voice and my identity in the newsroom, I also found my life long friends. It feels fitting that as a sophomore in college I am saying goodbye to the work that has given me so much. 

I tried out for the opinion department my first semester of freshman year, but I thought I wouldn’t get in. But I surprised myself and I’ve spent all four of my semesters at the Texan as an opinion staffer. The incredible joy that I have felt in this role is unmatched. I have grown so much, as a writer and a person, and I am so grateful I got the opportunity to be part of this paper. 

I have done things I never imagined: speaking with state representatives, professors who are experts in the fields I love, and writing about the issues that mean the most to me and my community. From the Affirmative Action Editorial to my pieces on TikTok and networking for students of color, I have put out work I will be proud of for the rest of my life. 

As an associate editor for the last two semesters I have had the immense pleasure of working under Lucero Ponce, one of the smartest women I know. She leads our department with immense grace and courage. She always shows up for us, no matter the time. Lucero was my first editor at the paper, and regardless of my undeniable inability to source that semester, she believed in me. Her trust and encouragement taught me how to be a good editor, giving me the confidence to grow into an intimidating role. I couldn’t be more grateful that we’ve spent so many semesters together. 

Our editorial board this semester was truly special. To Mihir and McKenzie, I am so proud of the work we have done together. I can’t think of better teammates and friends. From bowling, to ping pong, to slacks during edits, the support that you willingly give has made the biggest difference. I couldn’t ask for better partners-in-crime, and I am so glad I got to know you this semester. 

Mihir, you are truly one of the funniest people, and your obsession with the PCL will haunt me for the rest of my life. McKenzie, you are one of the sweetest souls and the coolest person I know. I am so glad we got to get to know each other better and I can’t wait to see everything you both accomplish at the Texan. 

Leaving the opinion department was not an easy choice for me, but it’s time for me to move on to my next adventure. I won’t forget my time here, it has irrevocably changed me. I can’t wait to read the paper every Monday and Thursday for the rest of my time at UT. And who knows, maybe I’ll be back. But for now I am so excited to get off of Slack at a reasonable hour.

When I walk into the opinion office every week it feels like home, no matter how worn out I am, I leave better than I came. When I walk out of it on LNOP I will remain forever changed and so lucky I got to occupy this space with these incredible people. Thank you for everything. 

This is Sonali Muthukrishnan with one last Texan opinion: the opinion department is the very best Texan department. Believe me, I could write an entire column about it.