‘Alan Wake II:” the most underrated game of 2023

Remedy Entertainment

When a sequel to the insanely popular single-player thrillfest of a game “Alan Wake” was officially announced, gamers everywhere lost their minds. Alan Wake may be one of the most popular characters in gaming that players often forget exists due to the large gap between games. “Alan Wake 2” follows crime novelist Alan Wake trapped in an alternate dimension for over 13 years and attempts to use his writing skills to help his escape.

“Alan Wake 2,” while a sequel of an existing IP, might be the most creative and unique game of 2023. It takes the basis and story of the original and builds upon it in a fresh and new way. It innovates in ways unexpected to players and in ways games have never truly touched successfully with instances of the game becoming a late-night talk show and even a rock opera. The player controls the titular character, but the expertly-crafted narrative makes the player feel as though they’re helpless to the events of the game and rather than actively making choices, are forced to see what the story makes them become. This makes for an experience that most games have not been able to replicate.

Years after the release of the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5, games are finally catching up to the graphical quality players expect of newer consoles. “Alan Wake 2” feels like one of those games that truly takes advantage of the hardware it’s on. The art direction proves excellent, from the basics like eerie lighting and reflections to the solid choice of color palette that makes the game feel weird and fit the alternate dimension vibe. It’s rare for these types of games to follow the “every frame is an art piece” mentality, but in “Alan Wake 2,” every screenshot players see will blow them away. It’s a remarkable piece of human ingenuity.

This unique game needs equally impressive music, and the music of “Alan Wake 2” enhances the game’s atmosphere tenfold. Combine the music with the excellent narrative direction, and players have an experience equivalent to a blockbuster movie. The atmosphere as a whole tends to effectively engage the player and make them feel a part of the world. Players venturing into the world of “Alan Wake 2” will find themselves playing for hours when it only feels like a couple of minutes.

“Alan Wake 2” makes for a rare game because it prioritizes being a solid experience rather than just turning over a profit. It feels as though the conversation around this game was short-lived despite the recent wins at The Game Awards, but players should consider trying this game out even if they are only a tiny bit curious. Players can easily jump into the world of “Alan Wake 2” with no prior knowledge as the experience is unique enough and easy to follow, but for the best experience, players should check out the original game before venturing into the chaos of the sequel. In an era of IPs being utilized purely for profit, it’s nice to see a studio craft a game primarily out of passion and desire to explore the next level of their pre-established world.

10 novels out of 10