The Daily Texan’s Super Bowl picks

Lorianne Willett
Wide receiver Xavier Worthy runs across the endzone after his touchdown during Texas’ game against Wyoming on September 16, 2023. Texas beat Wyoming 31-10.

With Super Bowl Sunday just a few days away, the entire country has its eyes on the matchup between Patrick Mahomes and the Kansas City Chiefs against the elite San Francisco 49ers. Being the sports staff of the Daily Texan, we felt it was our due diligence to insert our far-from-expert opinions on who is taking home the Lombardi trophy in 2024:

Isa Almeida

49ers, 24-21

A tied game until the very end. The 49ers will win with a field goal in the last play, similar to Texas and Alabama in 2022.

JT Bowen

Chiefs, 30-27

I’ve learned to stop betting against Patrick Mahomes.

Katie Borchetta

49ers, 27-24

The 49ers have a more stacked offense with running back Christian McCaffrey and wide receiver Deebo Samuel. They also have one of the best offensive lines this season and will be difficult for the Chiefs to stop. However, I do still believe it will be a close matchup.

Emma Hutchinson

49ers, 21-7

I’m an avid Patrick Mahomes hater, Brock Purdy runs on nothing but good vibes and that’s how I like it.

Lindsey Plotkin

Chiefs, 34-28

As good as the 49ers are and as dangerous as Christian McCaffrey is, Patrick Mahomes is unstoppable in the postseason. Travis Kelce has been playing really well and the Chiefs defense is the best in the NFL.

Evan Vieth

Chiefs, 24-17

Both teams’ defenses play lights out for four quarters, holding Mahomes and McCaffrey to worse stat lines than we’re used to, but I’m taking Mahomes in the fourth quarter over Purdy any day of the week. Mahomes leads a game-winning drive to secure his third Super Bowl and solidify as a top-three quarterback of all time.