UT student organization creates first aid outpost in Jester

Champers Fu
Longhorn EMS officers (left to right) Sharon Rong, Arvind Subramanian, Brandon Galvan on Feb. 8, 2024.

A student organization aims to provide first aid supplies to students for free at a newly opened outpost in Jester. 

Located across from the Jester Java cafe, the first aid outpost opened on Feb. 1. Longhorn EMS, a student government agency, began the project to provide a place on campus where students can get medical supplies at no cost, said Brandon Galvan, safety lieutenant of Longhorn EMS.

“Most times, people’s quickest convenience is Target or CVS, and so sometimes, with a lack of resources, it’s hard to get these things,” said biochemistry junior Galvan. “That was the main focus that we tried to bring to the safety outpost.”

Biology junior Nafisa Yusufali went to the outpost last Tuesday and picked up a first aid kit.

“I think it’s useful (for) addressing financial difficulties in college, especially for students in Jester,” Yusufali said. “The first aid outpost is really helpful for freshmen because that’s something that is probably not on their minds.” 

The outpost is open from 11 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays. During their hours, Longhorn EMS has provided supplies to 15 students since Feb. 1. They’ve given out supplies such as Band-Aids, alcohol wipes and Narcan, a medication that reverses an opioid overdose. The organization also provides pamphlets and flyers for other health resources to students who visit.

The organization plans for the outpost to operate daily and establish another more permanent outpost elsewhere in the future.

“We’re just really trying to solidify the outpost here for a temporary startup and hopefully try to get one in front of the SSB and get more students to come in,” Galvan said.

Along with providing first aid equipment and education to students, Longhorn EMS hopes the outpost serves as a step towards their goal of operating an emergency response team on campus. 

“Our ultimate goal in Longhorn EMS is to have our EMTs respond to medical calls on the university campus,” said Longhorn EMS Chief Arvind Subramanian. ”If we’re able to be there for students and provide medical equipment and first aid supplies, it’s just one step in the right direction.”