Reese Atwood gets first career grand slam in No. 2/2 Texas softball 9-0 win against Colorado State

Catcher+Reese+Atwood+prepares+to+catch+a+strike+during+Texas+game+against+Louisiana+on+Feb.+23%2C+2024.+
Kennedy Weatherby
Catcher Reese Atwood prepares to catch a strike during Texas’ game against Louisiana on Feb. 23, 2024.

In their second matchup, No. 2/2 Texas softball swept Colorado State 9-0, ending the game at the top of the fifth inning after sophomore designated player Reese Atwood’s first career grand slam.

The game started slightly slower than the previous night, with both teams having an idea of what to expect from the other. The first inning saw zero hits from either side.

So when an opportunity came for the Longhorns to score, they made sure to take advantage. By the end of the third inning, Texas had three hits, with three runs scored. 

Freshman pitcher Teagan Kavan and the Texas outfield ensured that Colorado State only got one hit in the first four innings. Ball after ball was popped up into the outfield, but the Longhorns didn’t stutter in their stride to catch the ball. 

Now at a 1.75 ERA this season, Kavan recorded her fifth win after pitching for four innings.

The Rams also worked on their pitching strategy: taking what they learned from the previous game, the Rams intentionally walked Atwood when they could, not giving her an opportunity to hit a home run like she did the night before. 

However, the Rams found themselves in a little bit of trouble at the bottom of the fourth inning. 

With senior infielder Alyssa Washington on base, freshman outfielder Kayden Henry continued to use the same technique from earlier in the game: bunt the ball and then proceed to steal second. While stealing second, the ball hit Henry’s foot, allowing Washington to score. 

Henry was able to bring it home after a ball driven by redshirt sophomore outfielder Ashton Maloney in between first and second base, getting the score up to 5-0.

Texas was back up to the top of their batting order. Every time senior outfielder Bella Dayton stepped up to the plate, Colorado intentionally walked her. They continued with the strategy. 

Freshman catcher Katie Stewart, who was already responsible for two RBIs off of a ball into left field, stepped up to the plate with two outs on the board. During Stewart’s at-bat, Maloney stole third base and Dayton stole second base. 

However, Stewart was walked after a full count, meaning that the bases were loaded for Atwood. The Rams no longer had the option to walk her. 

Understanding the gravity of the situation, Colorado State brought in a new pitcher. But it didn’t change the outcome.

With a crack, Atwood smacked the ball over the wall, bringing home both her teammates and her first career grand slam. 

Atwood now has a total of eight home runs, with three in the last two games. 

The Longhorns face No. 13/12 Stanford later in the evening, with the Cardinal’s pitching staff posing a challenge to the team. Then, they face the University of Louisiana at Lafayette for the second time at 12:30 p.m. tomorrow.