Writer, director Michael Felker’s ‘Things Will Be Different’ takes audiences on horrifying time-traveling journey

Courtesy of Carissa Dorson

Writer and director Michael Felker’s time-traveling sci-fi horror flick “Things Will Be Different,” starring Riley Dandy and Adam David Thompson, follows two siblings after they escape a police chase in an old house that time-travels them to stay hidden before sinister things begin to happen, preventing their escape.

Cinematographer Carissa Dorson utilizes many filmmaking techniques that elevate this indie flick’s visuals to a significantly higher quality compared to movies of the same budget. From handheld movement to using sticks — the film term for shooting on a tripod — the film’s energy feels raw and terrifying as the stakes climb throughout the run time. Things are shot to feel uneasy from the get-go, so when the film reaches its big tone shift with the sister vomiting blood in the field after trying to escape, a beautiful wide shot seals the deal and begins the true horror of the film. On top of that, the film’s use of natural lighting helps elevate even the most simple shots into an eye-catching feast for audiences.

The film centers its main story around a brother and sister. With their relationship dynamic as a source of conflict, audiences see how Felker explores the concept of growing apart from family and the paths a life can take. The story will impact audiences with siblings due to the exploration of growing apart from a sibling, but there are still enough emotional beats for people without siblings to grab ahold of and enjoy.

Felker crafts this horror, sci-fi thrillfest interestingly through his choice of pacing, which follows a pattern of slow reveals. The film begins abruptly without revealing much of the premise until part of the way through, then continues to lead viewers with no answers. The audience discovers the story at the same rate as the characters. There’s nothing giving audiences more information than what the characters have, which makes the slow burn that much more rewarding.

“Things Will Be Different” makes for a solid sci-fi horror film that utilizes solid cinematography and character exploration to make for a memorable experience. Felker’s solid writing and directing capabilities make this film feel much more like a mystery experience than a sci-fi film, which is exactly what the indie horror genre needed.

3 ½ mysterious time-traveling houses out of 5